1998 Mustang GT Hazard Lights and Turn Signals Mixed Up

Smitchface

Apr 15, 2018
Texas
Hello everybody; first time posting here!

I recently bought a 1998 Mustang GT from a friend who owned the car for about 2 years with no problems whatsoever. After driving it around for 3 days and familiarizing myself with everything: the windshield wipers and turn signals, the hazard switch, the extreme horsepower (previously owned a 1993 Saturn SC1 for 2 years haha), I noticed that my turn signal indicators on the dash were no longer turning on. When I returned home, I found that my external lights were not working either. I checked all of my fuses and they are good, and I made sure that every bulb in the brake lights and head lights are properly seated in their sockets. Only my headlights would work (both low and high beam).

Today I was tinkering around with it and found that when the hazard signal button is in the down position, all of my lights work, and when it is in the up position, nothing works. Theoretically, this is fine because I can drive and have all of the lights I need with the hazard button in the down position, but my new problem is that I still do not have hazard lights. Also, shouldn't the down position on the button mean that the hazard lights are activated?

Any help is welcome. I'll keep this thread open in a tab to get back to any replies quickly. Thanks!

~A very confused first-time Mustang owner

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for your suggestions guys! I haven't been able to get on in the past couple of days, but you've given me ideas of things to try! I plan to check out the hazard button on the multi-function switch and see if any wires are loose/ disconnected and make sure the connections aren't corroded anywhere. If all else fails, I'll replace the switch and see where to go from there. Any ideas or suggestions for me once I get that switch off? Thanks again!