• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

1998 Mustang won't start after hybernation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scooter1966
  • Start date Start date Mar 6, 2004
S

Scooter1966

New Member
Mar 6, 2004
3
0
0
Mar 6, 2004
#1
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #1
I had it stored for the last few months and now when I try to start it, it won't turn over. The battery is fine and I can smell a little gas, but it just won't turn over. What else can I do to get it started? It only has 15,000 miles on it so I'm pretty sure it's mechanically sound.
 
N

n0v8or

10 Year Member
Aug 23, 2003
604
8
39
Rhode Island
Mar 6, 2004
#2
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #2
If you turn the headlights on before trying to crank the engine, do they become noticably dimmer when you turn the key to the start position? The battery and battery connections would be #1 and #2 on my list of most likely causes.
 

jadesville

the polarbear conservation corps protects a polarb
20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 8, 2003
2,189
0
47
Gresham, OR
Mar 6, 2004
#3
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #3
are you 100% sure on the battery? did you load test it?
 
S

Scooter1966

New Member
Mar 6, 2004
3
0
0
Mar 6, 2004
#4
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #4
I haven't done a load test. I can try that tomorrow. But lets say that the battery is good, what else could it be?
 

Aaron 4.6

Founding Member
Apr 10, 2001
2,695
0
0
Georgia
Mar 6, 2004
#5
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #5
Corroded cables might not be getting enough amps through to turn the motor over.
 
J

J98GT

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2001
185
0
0
Ann Arbor, MI
Mar 6, 2004
#6
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #6
Will it turn over if you press the throttle, but not at idle? If so, it's your idle air control valve. You'll need to replace it, it's about $120 from Ford or you could get it from Fordpartsnetwork.com for a bit cheaper.
 
S

Scooter1966

New Member
Mar 6, 2004
3
0
0
Mar 27, 2004
#7
  • Mar 27, 2004
  • #7
OK, I'm back. It turns out the battery was bad and I just replaced it, but the car still won't start. I do smell gas in the engine compartment, so the fuel pump should be OK. When I crank it, it just doesn't seem to even want to start.
 

poolee

New Member
Aug 24, 2003
97
0
0
melbourne, fl
Mar 27, 2004
#8
  • Mar 27, 2004
  • #8
I just recently had the same problem. It turned out to be a bad relay in my starter. Just replaced the whole starter.

Good luck
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
204
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
B
Engine Another no start after washing engine bay
  • bruno
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
901
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
244
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Saturday at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
256
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
F
1986 mustang no start
  • foxyjamss221
  • Oct 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
371
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 13, 2025
foxyjamss221
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?