1999 Cobra Exhaust Question

Sara

Nov 10, 2003
1999, Cobra, need to know what the size diameter a stock cat-back system is....? I am looking at some flowmasters. Will a set a 40 or 50 series flowmasters fit side by side? or, do i need to get them with offset ins/outs

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Stock diameter piping is 2.25" (whereas aftermarket catbacks are typically 2.5" in diameter, in addition to a few 3" diameter catbacks on the market).

I too, would also recommend an entire catback, not just mufflers alone. Besides the larger diameter of aftermarket catbacks, another advantage is that they are mandrel bent during manufacturing/production - meaning that the pipes maintain the same inner diameter throughout. Factory catbacks tend to get crimped at any kinks or bends, reducing the inner diameter (which is bad for flow rate).

If you plan on welding a pair of mufflers into your factory catback, then be sure that the inlet/offset is on the same side!

FWIW, you may want to check out partshopper...

http://www.partshopper.com/

I want to put flowmasters on...but I can't find them with the inlet/outlet on the same side...at lease in the 50 series. I bought the car with what I think are resonators...made by Magnaflow. they are very loud and the interior noise can be painful...it's my dailey driver.

I want something that will give me better performance, but is not too loude...I'm in my 30's and have kind of out grown that.

FlowMaster 40 DeltaFlow mufflers, I had welded these into my stock exhaust when I first bought the car. Bought them from www.Steeda.com
159-942444 Flowmaster Components: 2-1/4" 2-Chamber Muffler for 1999 Cobra (each) $69.95

Sara said:
I want to put flowmasters on...but I can't find them with the inlet/outlet on the same side...at lease in the 50 series. I bought the car with what I think are resonators...made by Magnaflow. they are very loud and the interior noise can be painful...it's my dailey driver.

I want something that will give me better performance, but is not too loude...I'm in my 30's and have kind of out grown that.

Compared to any other peformance muffler it's probably the quietest but a tad louder than stock, sounds good with good performance. A very good muffler except like any Flowmaster (or chambered muffer) has a drone to it. The inside noise is very low except when the drone kicks in about 2K RPM. If you dont want drone dont get Flowmasters. Magnaflow (straight through muffler) is the next best thing without the drone but a little bit louder. It's a tradeoff. Good luck

Sara said:
how loud is the interior sound under moderate accel with the 40 series delta flow? do you think it is a goof compromise?

the flowmasters wony help that much, if you want it quieter, get the big Magnaflow muffler it will go right in my buddy has them on his 01 Bra and they are perfect. Sound so good I might switch from my Bassani to Magnaflow on my own car. cant decide though. flowmasters make a whole new noise inside your car.

has anyone ever heard of Flo-Pro V Force mufflers? I came across them on a random search...

another question...on my car right now are Magnaflow 12-14 inch...5-6 inch round mufflers of some kind. any idea what they are? I think they are resonators (very loud), but I want to stay away from magnaflow "straight thru" if that is what is on already.

thanks...

Sara said:
...on my car right now are Magnaflow 12-14 inch...5-6 inch round mufflers of some kind...

Those would be Magnaflow "Magnapack" mufflers. They are obviously quite louder than their more tame "Magnaflow" counterparts.

The Magnaflow company offers two flavors of straight through mufflers:

1) "regular" Magnaflows - quiet

2) "louder" Magnapacks - not for old people. LOL

Keep in mind that both of these mufflers offer similar performance gains, there is no major difference between the two.

Does your vehicle have the factory H pipe or are you running an offroad midpipe? If you have an offroad midpipe, that is probably causing most of the "loudness" IMHO - the lack of cats really wakes up the exhaust sound w/ Magnapack mufflers.