1st Ever Winter Project! SC and more

95CobraStang

Jan 21, 2004
Chico, CA
Putting the ultimate SC combo together...reasonably

I'm trying to get a little winter project together to keep me busy and get the ol Stang up to par. I have an auto '01 vert. I have many a questions, so I figure i'll just space em out throughout the months as to not look too stupid.

As of right now, I have in mind:
vortech s-trim SC (w/ or w/out aftercooler)
Steeda boost pipe
42lb injectors
90mm lightning mass air
75mm Accufab TB and plenum combo
3.73...or maybe 4.10 gears
Jerry mod for tranny

-1st, is it worth it to pay the extra for the after-cooler on the vortech?
-2nd, would i be able to find a diablo predator tuner that could dyno tune the car, or do i just need to get a new chip and tune?
-3rd, will I be missing out, if I don't get a higher stalled converter??

Lastly, assuming I need a higher stall on my converter with the vortech, would it just be cheaper to get the KB, and not have to buy quite as many parts? (i would guess that since the kb makes so much power down low, a converter wouldn't really be necessary)

What would you guys do??? Keep in mind, price is definately a factor.

Decisions, decisions!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not going to bull**** you. The best way to figure out whether or not you need that aftercooler, is, ask yourself how much horsepower are you shooting for?

Dont forget the rest of the fuel system too, that gets costly. And you'll be best off with a "custom" tune, which is a pretty penny.

Basically, I am going to pretty much do what you're doing. I'm simply, rather than buying all the extra stuff seperate, going to buy the Mongoose kit. EVERYTHING is included as an all in-one-package for 4,grand. Minus the converter, the gears, and minor intake stuff (plenum, TB, ect.). But I already have that stuff done. If you want to check out the mongoose kit (which a lot of people here swear by, another reason for my choosing) go to www.modularfordpowerhouse.com

Goodluck dude!

My goal this past year was to improve my performance through bolt-on modifications. After soliciting feedback on stangnet, I've pretty much exhausted the bolt-on route (see signature below). My goal for next year is to add a supercharger. After doing some research and reading various discussion boards, I've decided to go with the Mongoose kit offered by T & J Performance. I will get the kit with the Vortech SQ-Trim supercharger. The kit includes everything that you need, e.g., larger MAF, injectors, and fuel pump. It also includes a Steeda tune that reflashes your ECU so that it can be worked on at any Ford dealership. Depending upon your other mods, this kit will give you an additional 140-200 rwhp. For your automatic, the result will be 348-408 rwhp (or 435-510 bhp). With stock internals, you're pretty much limited to 400 rwhp, even with a safe tune. This, of course, means that you will probably need to choose between an aftercooler and bolt-on modifications since doing both will put you well over 400 rwhp. With my current mods, I hope that the Mongoose kit will put me around 380-400 rwhp. Maybe in a couple of years I will put in forged internals, install an aftercooler, have the heads polished and ported, add a custom cam, and install a lower intake (provided one is available by then). This should put me around 550 rwhp (688 bhp). Then I will have enough horsepower. :banana: