1st post, 1st mustang, 1st supercharger :) Now what? Looking for 430rwhp

Well, I just purchased my first ever Mustang that came with a Roush SC and a host of suspension mods. I've been into trucks and street bikes for some time now, but my last 'fast' car was a 300zx TT and before that a Camaro some years ago. So any who, I've been out of the sportscar/muscle car scene for a while now.

Other than the SC and exhaust, the engine is stock. This will be my daily driven car and I expect to get a nice long life from it. No real plans to take it to the strip or anything...just want a reliable car with some decent power on tap. So, with that said, what would be my best bet to squeeze at least 400rwhp from it? After some research, it looks like the VMP setup may be a wise choice? Looks like 430rwhp is maybe a realistic number? I have a local tuner if that would be a better option than the VMP tune, but I am unfamiliar for the most part with VMP..other than the good reviews I've read.

Anywho, here is the car. 2007..It has 23k miles with the 'premium package' (leather dash, etc) and I picked it up for $19k. Mods have been on the car for 3,000 miles.

Roush M90 Supercharger
Roush Cold Air Kit
Moroso Axle Back Exhaust
GT500 Wheels & Tires
GT500 Shocks and Struts
GT500 Front Sway Bar
GT500 Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Ultralite Springs
Steeda Street Adjustable Upper Control Arm
BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
BMR Lower Control Arms
BMR Control Arm Brackets
Strano Parts Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Bullitt OEM Grill

side.png

engine.png

front.png

Oh...and hello!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,
It looks very clean, and the low miles are a bonus too!

The M90 is a small supercharger really, and tends to make alot of heat which hurts horsepower. It will be enough to give a nice punch and know it's there, but don't expect Whipple numbers out of it. I'm not so sure about 430rwhp, as most make around 370-380rwhp on a 3V that I see.

I agree the M-90 is a small blower it was OEM on the 89-95 Thunderbird SC's with a v-6 and it was too anemic even for that 3.8L when you wanted to mod it. Being a DD I'd leave it alone for now, maybe down the line if you're in a situation to get a 2nd car for a DD then perhaps it would be worth the money for a blower upgrade.

Thanks for the replies. Yea, this has always been my understanding with the m90, which is fine. I really have no desire to run this vehicle to the ragged edge and wanted to see about spinning it just a tad bit faster than the stock 5psi. I'll be waiting until the used 2011's become cheaper in a year or two and likely going with a Whipple. In the mean time, just wanted to see about adding a few ponies over the stock setup.

Watched a few dyno runs on youtube and some dyno scans around the web with the "VMP 500HP" package (2.56" pulley, 90mm intake, and 90mm idler and tune..which I believe bumps it up to 7-8psi) and it looks like most of them are running right around 430rwhp and 415rwtq. Guess I wanted to know how realistic those numbers are...as "perfect condition" dyno runs usually tell very little of the story. Even if more realistic numbers are 'only' 400rwhp, that would be great for the role of this vehicle.

2010 Mustang GT w Roush M90 supercharger & VMP500hp kit - YouTube (auto trans at 430rwhp)
VMP Dyno Pull; final M90 mods... - YouTube (claims 447rwhp)
Bobby's 06 GT with Roush Blower and VMP 500HP package 429RWHP/404RWTQ - VMP Tuning Message Board

Along with the VMP 2.49"pulley/idler/90mm intake kit, I'm going to order a set of relatively mild cams. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I think I will go with the Detroit Rocker (for blown applications) cams. These will not require springs to be replaced and it seems 30rwhp on these cars are common.

My local tuner has done a few applications almost identical to this and he's saying to expect 430-450rwhp on his Dynojet.

Now, any suggestions on whether I should go with the Brenspeed 'mail order' tune..or let my local tuner do it? I've heard some great things about Brenspeed (they designed these cams), but I also read a lot in regards to staying away from mail order tunes.

Thanks

VMP is pretty widely recognized as the best M-90 tuner. I would just get the VMP 500 package from them. Maybe call them, Justin is the tuner's name, see if he recommends the cams.

You stated you wanted a reliable DD with some decent power on tap. Is it not that already? Are you just chasing a number with 430hp aspirations. Every time you monkey around under the hood for peformance, you are taking a chance on screwing up it's DD reliability. JMO, and welcome to the forum.

You stated you wanted a reliable DD with some decent power on tap. Is it not that already? Are you just chasing a number with 430hp aspirations. Every time you monkey around under the hood for peformance, you are taking a chance on screwing up it's DD reliability. JMO, and welcome to the forum.

Yes and yes. :)

It's a combination of factors, really. Since I got in lower than what I was wanting to spend on the car, I have set myself a budget for some mods. I will be staying within that budget, but also be seeking a HP number that stays within what is considered reliable for this engine and its stock internals.

If 430-450rwhp is the widely accepted 'safe' number, then I believe the VMP kit + cams would land me there, as well as stay within my budget. Aside from the moderate increase in power, a big perk of the cams would be the awesome sound, of course.

I'm at relatively high altitude (5000-6000 feet), so I'm expecting a tad bit less horsepower than some of the more optimistic claims and results I've seen around.