2.3 turbo swap HELP oil in intake

daviddunivan

Dec 5, 2001
just finished my 2.3 n/a to 2.3 turbo. by the way thanks to everyone on this site. :D done alot of research here that helped me along the way. but i have finished everything and fired it up. started smoking right away and missing. so after doing more investigating i found the throttle body and hoses exiting turbo toward throttle body to be filling with oil. also i think some is going in the exhaust pipe. please help me figure out what this could be. cannot find any info on this symptom:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,

Id look at the exhaust valve guide seals if theres that amount of oil in the intake system as well as checking your other seals and the turbo drain back line for kinks ect.

y would it be exhaust valve seals? pulled the turbo off and manifold off last nite. oil in both sides of turbo, compressor and turbine sides. so would have to be coming from the center of the turbo from the oil center section right? no kinks were in the return line and it was free and open i have checked that also. think its just bad seals in turbo from sitting? this is the only thing i can think of. its a garrett t40e turbo .60 .63 numbers on it. i have another turbo and manifold that's .60 .70 numbered so i think i will put that on and hope seals are good in that. motor ran excellent had 55 lbs oil pressure. may that's blowing seals in it cause its alot of oil pressure at idle. dunno but i wanna get this thing buttoned up and running to go have some fun with it :D if anyone comes up with anything else please jump in. also how hard is it to rebuild the turbo with the bad seals, think the kit is like 80 bucks for it.

Mine did the same thing, Looked like the whole car was going up in smoke.. I have never seen a car smoke so bad.. Anyway, it probably is the turbo seals, Personally i would have it rebuilt by a professional. They need to be balanced properly in order to last any decent amount of time and you just cant do that yourself. I sent mine to Evergreen turbo Evergreen Turbo Co. OEM and High Performance Turbocharges and they did a very nice job. It was a couple hundred bucks. It came back looking like a brand new turbo.

Dr.