SN95 2.5 inch Catback on original 2.25 inch x-pipe

BlazeAtwood10

Feb 22, 2021
Hello, first time asking a question on a forum.

I have a 1994 mustang gt and I'm looking to start my "build" with an exhaust system and I temporarily would like to have my catback ( which is 2.5 inches in diameter ) clamped to the original x-pipe ( which is 2.25 inches in diameter ) I know these are complete different sizes but I saw they use the same flange set up, I didn't know if it would create an exhaust leak or just not clamp together.

The vehicle is 100% stock and my first mods are going to be long tube headers in to an offroad x-pipe to a pypes violator catback system.

I'd appreciate the input before I start ordering all these parts, Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it will work fine. The ball-and-socket connections will be fine when joining a 2.5” cat-back to a 2.25” h-pipe.

I ran this setup for many years with a 2.5 car-back and stock 2.25” Oem h-pipe. No leaks

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it will work fine. The ball-and-socket connections will be fine when joining a 2.5” cat-back to a 2.25” h-pipe.

I ran this setup for many years with a 2.5 car-back and stock 2.25” Oem h-pipe. No leaks
Also was this setup significantly different sounding over stock? ( probably not much of a difference in power right? ) id appreciate the feedback

I believe the Pypes Violator system is pretty loud. I would do a YouTube search for audio clips before spending the money. Most guys lean toward Flowmaster or Dynomax mufflers for that traditional Fox Body 5.0 sound, but it's your car.
Yeah I've done months of research figuring out the sound I like and I've personally narrowed it down to the violators but I was wondering about the sound through the stock x-pipe because if it sounds decent in the mean time I can focus my time and money else where on the car.

Appreciate the comment sir/ma'am

Also was this setup significantly different sounding over stock? ( probably not much of a difference in power right? ) id appreciate the feedback

Yes, my flowmasters were loud, even through the stock H-pipe. It was definitely loud enough that when I occasionally took the car to work at 6:30-7am I would bog it in 4th gear just to creep out of there.

I’ve actually swapped to a Bassani catted X-pipe, will be even louder, so I’m swapping my mufflers to Borla pro XS to quiet the car down. I’m not really a fan of loud exhausts anymore.

Yes, my flowmasters were loud, even through the stock H-pipe. It was definitely loud enough that when I occasionally took the car to work at 6:30-7am I would bog it in 4th gear just to creep out of there.

I’ve actually swapped to a Bassani catted X-pipe, will be even louder, so I’m swapping my mufflers to Borla pro XS to quiet the car down. I’m not really a fan of loud exhausts anymore.
Mike, please post when you have the new mufflers on. I’m interested in your experience with them. As we’ve discussed before, I now have the Bassani catted X-pipe on my ‘86 with a Flowmaster cat-back system, and it’s loud!

Mike, please post when you have the new mufflers on. I’m interested in your experience with them. As we’ve discussed before, I now have the Bassani catted X-pipe on my ‘86 with a Flowmaster cat-back system, and it’s loud!

i bought the Pypes Stainless flow tubes, and have the Borlas in my cart. I’m hoping to reuse my Flowmaster tailpipes as they are in excellent shape and the routing works with my panhard bar

I’m hoping to do engine start this spring and debating if I should fire it up with the flowmasters first or just go ahead and start swapping the mufflers now while the car still on stands.

either way, I’m going with the borlas pro XS. I’m sure they will be still loud enough, especially with the Bassani catted x pipe. I’m just trying to avoid excessive noise.

I appreciate the amazing feedback, I came from a hick town where everyone sovles there problems by straight piping so I'm accustomed to the loud vehicles this should be fairly tame compared to the usual open headers

i bought the Pypes Stainless flow tubes, and have the Borlas in my cart. I’m hoping to reuse my Flowmaster tailpipes as they are in excellent shape and the routing works with my panhard bar

I’m hoping to do engine start this spring and debating if I should fire it up with the flowmasters first or just go ahead and start swapping the mufflers now while the car still on stands.

either way, I’m going with the borlas pro XS. I’m sure they will be still loud enough, especially with the Bassani catted x pipe. I’m just trying to avoid excessive noise.
By any chance do you remember what kind of flows you had on the car? I'm probably going change around my "setup" alot and would love to have the extra "knowledge"

I'd be real curious to hear what these sound like, I was close to pulling the trigger on a set of these mufflers but couldn't find a good sound clip
on a pushrod sbf.
They seem to have a more mellow refined sound , but then again putting them on my 393 may take the refinement out of them lol.
Post a clip if you can .

I'd be real curious to hear what these sound like, I was close to pulling the trigger on a set of these mufflers but couldn't find a good sound clip
on a pushrod sbf.
They seem to have a more mellow refined sound , but then again putting them on my 393 may take the refinement out of them lol.
Post a clip if you can .

pretty much the best vid I found demonstrating the sound. This one has long tubes and off-road exhaust though, but I like the tone.

View: https://youtu.be/Tzv5kU4-kZY