2.8 is SLOW>>>>

uglyII

Apr 30, 2003
Hey Guys,
Im gonna try and describe the way my 2.8/C4 coupe carries itself down the road, and hopefully get some feedback on whats going on. Here goes...

Engine warm, pedal to the floor, the rpm's fly from idle to around 2000. From 2000 to 3000 it slows, and at 3000 rpm's, it seems to hit a brick wall. acceleration from 60mph to 80 is beyond embarassing. I am also getting very poor gas mileage and im curious if I might have clogged cats. I was hoping someone with a well tuned 2.8 could tell me if the engine really does suck this much. :shrug:

Another problem I have with this engine... Ive got $500 to spend, and I cant come up with one thing that will significantly improve acceleration. Any other car/engine combination, and its no problem, but its like owning a yugo. :nonono:

Also, if you are going to suggest a cam/intake/carb deal that fits my price range, try throwing in labor, because I cant do the camshaft replacement.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

"that will significantly improve acceleration"
Rear gears, unless it's a 74.

A good exhaust system would probably help, it should rev past 3000 under load. Dano78 is a staunch promoter of the 2.8, might want to shoot him an email, I think he's a pretty busy guy and might not make it in here for a while.

I think you're probably onto something with the exhaust being obstructed.

Yup, sounds like restricted exhaust to me, too. I know that my own 2.8 is kinda built to the nuts and nastier than stock (it would lift the front tires a good 2' if I dumped the clutch in low range in my Bronco II, and hit well over 7k before it ran out of power), but even a stock/tired 2.8 should be good to at least 6k rpm...

Put a vacuum guage on the manifold. Should have about 15-20 in. at an idle.

Hold the throttle off idle to about 2500-3000 rpm. Vacuum should be 20 in. or better. If it is only 10 in. or so, you have a restriction in the exhaust. Collasped pipe or maybe a clogged converter.