2 questions. JLT cold air, detroit trutrac

bwahl602

Dec 13, 2008
Also getting ready to order a JLT cold air intake. One thing im concerned with, with the filter down in the fender, does it pick up alot of dirt?? This is my DD car, i cant tell by any of the install guides if the filter is protected from water splash etc.
I think im sold on JLT over K&N. Just need to make sure that filter wont be something i clean every week. (or that i wont be afraid to drive with in the rain)

Second, i just picked up a brand new set of 31 spline FRPP axleshafts (for $175 :D)... theres a 31 spline detroit trutrac in the rear of my bronco. Always loved that diff for the short time i used it. Anyone have any experience withthe trutrac in a car. Especially street driven? The trac-loc is slipping and needs to go.

thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

I have no problems whatsoever with my JLT. I previously had a MAC short ram air kit and it was a total waste. The JLT, in my opinion, is the only CAI kit for the mustang that will truly add some HP to the rear wheels. I can feel it - and it sounds great.

About the only bad things I have to say about the JLT are:

1) The joints have no means of staying together other than really wrenching down on the clamps. Just big, thick pieces of smooth plastic (ABS?) tubing. A small lip machined into the ends for the couplers to bite into would be nice, IMO.

2) The tubing is really, truly ginormous in diameter and on my car was either putting sideways pressure on the oil filler cap or was hitting the shock tower.

3) The aforementioned cartoonishly monstrous diameter prevented me from using it with my newly installed Kenne Bell. That was a bummer. Apparently the KB puts the throttle body just that much closer to the shock tower rendering the JLT unable to fit.

Although my car is pretty much fair-weather driven only, I can say I never had any issues with the filter rapidly filling with grime. With the splash guards in place the filter is actually fairly well shielded. Just watch out for really deep puddles to prevent possible hydrolocking of the engine or sucking water up onto the MAF (which is also relocated down with the filter...)

It's a good intake for making power though.

I have the Tru-Trac detroit locker in my car and haven't had any problems at all. It's definitely a lot quieter in the ratcheting department compared to the Eaton locker I had in the last Mustang. It does grab randomly sometimes, coasting around corners. Makes for some interesting shakes and tire chirps. I've been nothing short of brutal to the thing, and it's stood up to every bit of it. If you've driven a lockered vehicle before, then you should know what to expect.

i was always surprised how smooth the detroit was... ive had alot of experience with lockers(which the trutrac is not)... However, ive never had one in a car that will be used for street and track. This will not be a straight line car.

Im surpised the JLT was plastic tubing... i thought it was metal tubing

i was always surprised how smooth the detroit was... ive had alot of experience with lockers(which the trutrac is not)... However, ive never had one in a car that will be used for street and track. This will not be a straight line car.

Im surpised the JLT was plastic tubing... i thought it was metal tubing

My bad, my current one is a Trac-Tech locker. Got that mixed with the tru-trac. With that Tru-trac being a helical gear diff, it should rock.

You want plastic tubing for the intake. Metal = heat soak.

The JLT or K&N will do just fine. The K&N doesn't require the MAF relocation and it sits under the hood so getting to it for cleaning is easier. Most people seem to say JLT makes the most power of them all though.

There will be an argument about a filter sitting under the hood pulling in hotter air vs. one sitting in the fenderwell, but I have done datalogging and my IAC temps have never been excessive over outside tempatures.