Engine 2000 3.8 Engine Swap to 94 SC!

Stanginator5517

Feb 1, 2020
BC
HELLO ALL! so It is my aspiration to take on a project because I like building things. I have a 1994 3.8L supercoupe engine that I would like to swap into a 2000 3.8L mustang! But I need help! What are things I need to know? Any weird parts that wont fit/will have to be custom made? Any and all tips and help is appreciated! I have heard of a few people doing similar builds but info is few and far between. Thank you! If this works I will make a youtube video of the step by step process!!

• Sponsors (?)

It is my aspiration to take on a project because I like building things
Just wondering.
  • does this project have to pass ODB2 inspection after done?
  • do you have a ton of experience with custom electronics?
I have heard of a few people doing similar builds but info is few and far between.
IMO I think there are few examples of this swap being done because there's more to a supercharger than just the supercharger itself. Little thought has been given to the electronics needed to integrate the supercharger to the engine management system.

From a project standpoint trying to retrofit an existing product would be to reuse engineering already done. But the biggest problem I see is the HUGE difference in engine management strategy between the 1994 speed density era and a more modern 1999-2004 ODB2 mass air flow system. Therefore not as much makes the transition as one might be expected.

Let me ask you. Do you want to actually drive your project or dream about it? If this were my project I would go the kit supercharger route. The value of the kit is to take advantage of the engineering already done.

Some examples to consider.

signed
Ward Cleaver

Just wondering.
  • does this project have to pass ODB2 inspection after done?
  • do you have a ton of experience with custom electronics?

IMO I think there are few examples of this swap being done because there's more to a supercharger than just the supercharger itself. Little thought has been given to the electronics needed to integrate the supercharger to the engine management system.

From a project standpoint trying to retrofit an existing product would be to reuse engineering already done. But the biggest problem I see is the HUGE difference in engine management strategy between the 1994 speed density era and a more modern 1999-2004 ODB2 mass air flow system. Therefore not as much makes the transition as one might be expected.

Let me ask you. Do you want to actually drive your project or dream about it? If this were my project I would go the kit supercharger route. The value of the kit is to take advantage of the engineering already done.

Some examples to consider.

signed
Ward Cleaver
Thanks for tip, I also dont want to spend twice the value of the car on a brand new pro charger (the only option I saw there) I bought engine for 500 bucks and I believe I should be able to do this project for under 6 grand? So you're saying it's impossible? What if I got aftermarket ecu and tune?

So you're saying it's impossible? What if I got aftermarket ecu and tune?
What's one reason behind using an existing part from another car? Isn't it to take advantage of the engineering already done? IMO. you need to research and understand the difference in engine management strategy between speed density and mass air flow. I think you are over estimating the sensors and small parts that will make the switch over.

In all likely hood a custom tune would be needed regardless of which option you choose. Consider that before a motor can be tuned, the sensors that the PCM are expecting have to be in place and sending signals. If your idea is to replace the whole PCM with an after market unit (basically convert back to speed density), this brings a whole new set of "gotcha's" along with it (plus cost and work).

Please re-read my reply. It's unlikely that I would ever say something is impossible. Don't let me kill your dream project if this is what you have been lusting after. But I'm assuming that you posted here to get honest opinions before starting your project. You say this project has a 6k budget. Frankly if I had 6k to spend on a "project car", I would spend it on a WHOLE good working used 1999-2004 Mustang GT. In fact if you shopped around you may be able to find a 2005+ model year Mustang for 6k.

If you still want something to "fix up", then spend 1k (or less) on someone else's Mustang GT with a blown motor (or other major mechanical issue). That's what I did.

Just to be sure, have you looked up the HP specs for the Super Coupe? Isn't it like 210-230 HP? The advantage of going the GT route is the GT will have all of the "beefier" parts to handle the extra HP that the V6 doesn't have.

Good luck to you. I'm sure your experiences will make a great "how to" series.

Last edited: