2000 4.6L GT wont start! please help

VA2KGT

Apr 9, 2003
I have a 2000 GT, and i drove it down the street to my friends appartment and a few minutes later, go back inside and the car wouldnt start. It has done this once before but after a few minutes turned on like nothing was wrong. I usually have the tap the gas pedal a little bit to get the engine to turn over. I tried jumping the car ut had no luck. I have a feeling the car isnt getting fuel but i red the air idle control or something may be broken. Im not sure where to take it to get fixed or what is wrong with it. Please let me know what you think cause ill be stranded without my daily driver!

• Sponsors (?)

it tries to turn over i think, but the engine just wont crank up. I tried to jump it so i imagine the battery is ok and i just dont know what could happen within the period of 5 minutes. Im worried sick over it. If i take it to the shop how long do you think it would take to fix it

the car keeps cranking, but the engine wont start. It makes the same sound it always made before the engine started but the engine wont turn over. I dont think its an issue of the battery being dead cause i jumped it and nothing. Im not sure how to exactley describe it except the battery and starter sound like they are working but i think the fuel isnt getting to the motor or something. I read about alot of problems with the IAC and cleaning it or it goes bad. I just wish i knew what it could be, cause what could possibly change from one start to the next within a 5 minute period?

It doesn't sound like a problem with the IAC. Normally when those go the car will crank it just won't idle and dies quickly. The same thing happened to me about a year ago and it was actually the chip in my key. My car would just crank without starting. I finally figured out what the problem was because my Anti-Theft light was flashing a code. Since the computer no longer recognized the chip in my key it disabled the fuel system. I'm not saying that this is your problem but it is something to check. Are you hearing the fuel pump prime when you turn your key to the ON position?

now that you mention it the light is flashing at me, and i vaguely remember getting that problem fixed before i bought the car used from the dealer. I think they mentioned something about it. well thanks for reminding me cause i bet thats what it is. I was gonna take it to a local shop but i have it taken to the ford dealership now. Hopefully it wont take too long or be too expensive...

I have had the same problem on my 2002 GT. The car will RANDOMLY (like once every few weeks) not want to start. Everytime i just blip the gas pedal when it does this and it kicks up and turns on. I have never had it not start at all on me yet. So blipping the gas always worked for me, but yeah i had the same problem. Like it was turning over, but no fuel was getting to the engine.

I didn't check the "theft" light, so i dont know anything about that. I was just thinking that my car at 50k now needs a new fuel filter and injector cleaner and it will go away im hoping. But honestly the car did this even when i first got it at 27k and even at 50k now.