2000 GT: Steering

Did some seat cover swapping. Took the bad pass bottom and put it on the drivers side seat. Figured I’d be driving the car so it would be covered. That way the empty pass seat doesn’t look so bad.

Some wrinkles, but I’ve decided to recover these. Didn’t like the dark charcoal seats in there, plus they got hot in the sun.

So now the drivers seat is trash, but the pass seat is so-so.

IMG_4298.jpeg

Some wrinkles in the seat bottom but this is a temp solution until I get new covers and probably new bottom foam.

But I like the tan seats better. Went on eBay and found a set of 03/04 big headrests in tan. I hate these small headrests
IMG_4299.jpeg

This interior has come a LONG way. It even smells better.

Car is pretty much all set to drive. Just need plates.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Nope. Not gonna do anything else….

So yeah I’m I hated the headlights and they just had to go. Plus they were mostly just very badly yellowed.

Before
IMG_4347.jpeg

And after.
IMG_4348.jpeg

Mach 1 grill ordered, and I already have the chin spoiled. Need to track down a factory black hood scoop too

I have a plate for it. I just don’t have it in my possession yet. So beautiful weather this weekend and I sit and look at this sitting in the driveway

IMG_4352.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Mach 1 grill installed. Didn’t do the chin. Figured I’d run out of time tonight

Still searching for an oem black 01+ hood scoop. Hoping I can find one with similar condition paint.

IMG_4392.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Plate on the car. Maiden voyage done. Drives pretty darn good for 23 years old. Takes bumps well for original shock/struts, but I’m sure an upgrade in the future would do wonders.

Brakes need addressing. Burning off the years worth of rust and they feel better the more I drive, but not confidence inspiring.

Since I have a set of cobra calipers, I’ll likely go ahead and order up some rotors and a set of rear rotors/pads. That plus a brake bleed should do wonders.

Good lowering springs wouldn’t hurt either. She’s soft

Glad to see you're staying strong and not going to modify it!!!!

Lol. I’m throwing that out the window. Gonna mod what needs to be modded to make it a fun daily/cruiser.

Needs brakes, and suspension. Oh and an MGW shifter. This stock shifter blows. The one in my fox feels so nice.

Not even gonna touch the exhaust. Ford got the 99-04 exhaust perfect. Great tone and volume, but not obnoxious. Of course I wouldn’t be saying this if I didn’t have a loud, cammed Foxbody back home.

Discovered I have leak. Couple days of heavy rain and found the pass carpet wet. Drying it out now, but will need to chase this down. The window seals seem dry. My fear is that it’s the windshield.

IMG_4477.jpeg

In searching for a product to clean the top, this one in particular was recommended to me.

MOLD ARMOR Mold and Mildew Killer + Quick Stain Remover, 32 oz., Trigger Spray Bottle, Eliminates 99.9% of Household Bacteria and Viruses, Ideal Bathroom Mold and Mildew Remover https://a.co/d/8WIEFoI

Rinse, spray, scrub, rinse. Good as new. It is bleach based, so gotta work quick and then be heavy on the rinsing.

Before

IMG_4652.jpeg

And after

IMG_4651.jpeg

This was a brand new top, and now it looks like it.

Spoiler was off as I needed to clay bar the trunk to get all the grime and mold off under the spoiler.

I really dislike the 99-00 spoiler. I’m keeping an eye out for any 01-04 local part-outs in black to try and match the paint. This trunk lid has damage.

Next up, remove, sand and respray the well trim around the rear of the base of the top. Lots of rust/pitting.

IMG_4653.jpeg

Here’s the trunk lid. Not sure what happened here. Like someone was tapping it with a pick or something. Those are all deep chips into the paint.

That’s why I’d rather seek out a black trunk from an 01-04 car. Fix this issue, and get the spoiler I prefer.

I scored a nice 3rd brake light that isn’t sunfaded that is on the way to me. Slowly chipping away at fixing this up.

IMG_4654.jpeg

Ok. I got spend happy

On the way:

01+ hood scoop in OEM Ford Black
New visors
Correct light and dark charcoal paint from LMR to try and restore some of the sunfaded plastics
nice condition 3rd brake light
Another set of convertible top well trim, so i can take my time sanding and painting and swap with my rusted trim
new Trans mount.

I suspect the trans mount is bad on this car. Right around 2-3K RPM, i get a vibration in the shifter that goes away when i push the clutch in. Starting with the simple stuff and swapping out the transmission mount as this seems to be a common culprit. Ford just discontinued the OEM mount. All that's left are crappy Chinese brands. After callign a few dealers and trying to order from Tasca Parts, LMR shows a few in stock, at $30 more than Ford wanted. I figure last shot to get an OEM Ford mount so i ordered it. Lets see if it ships.

I still cant find a good used PI intake. Ford discontinued that in July, so finding used has been a struggle. I'm down 15-20HP with the Dorman.

I also ordered an MGW shifter. After going back to back with my Fox, and missing a few 2-3 shifts, and even a 3-4 shift with the stock shifter, i need to get a performance shifter on there ASAP.

Still haven't found the source of my water leak. Need to pull the carpet up and put a hose on the car and really investigate. I suspect it comes from the back seat area but i cleared those drains and still noticed some water got in when i used the hose to clean the top. I may have to seal up the side lower frame area in case leaks are coming through from that reservoir area and flowing into the seating area. Seems to be a common issue from what i've seen.

Found a hood scoop. Rolled the dice on buying one sight unseen. Paint is no better or worse than what’s on the car

Not installed yet. Just sitting on hood
IMG_4773.jpeg
IMG_4774.jpeg

• Winner
Gave the car its first complete powerwash, under the hood and outside. Paint needs some correction, but it’s not terrible

IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Bled the brakes today. The old fluid was essentially black. This made a huge difference in brake performance.

During my inspection, I found the ball joint boots on both sides were dried out and cracked badly. Also the inner bushings were dried out, with one bushing on the pass side looking like it was failing.

Looks like a new set of front control arms is in my futur.

IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4821.jpeg

• Surprised