2000 Mustang Gt Engine Swap

Billy1971

Jul 1, 2015
I just bought a 2000 gt 5 speed with stock exhaust. Somebody started taking the engine apart and gave up. My question is will a 4.6 out of a 1999 and newer crown Vic or f150 work in this car? I've read my car has a different bolt count on the flywheel. Can I just buy a flywheel for the engine I get and bolt it in. Anybody know of any differences or surprises in this kind of swap? Any info is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think the Crown Vics got PI stuff until 2003. I could be wrong but I think I saw that. Where are you located? Have you tried to find a PI Mustang GT engine on Craigslist yet?

The flywheel question has yet to be answered here. If the engine is a Windsor unit, commonly found in the F150, then it could have an 8 bolt crank and flywheel. All Romeo engines should be 6 bolt. I believe you can find the manufactering designation on the emissions sticker under the hood. It really shouldn't matter if you are swapping the entire engine as the clutch should bolt to either the 6 or 8 bolt flywheels from the 4.6 SOHC. Cobra and 5.4 flywheels are the larger 11" size and the stock 10.5" clutch on the GT won't work with that flywheel.

Hello I have a 2000 mustang gt with the SOHC i blew up the motor a couple months after I bought it due to high miles I was wondering if I can put a 5.4l back into the car if its also a 2000 with the SOHC does anyone know if this is possible or what headaches come with trying to swap it over

For the record. My recommendation is to use a Romeo PI from a 2003+ Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car).

While it's true that 2001+ Panthers have a Romeo PI that technically will work, it wasn't until 2003 that Ford redesigned the PI head to:
  • reduce the chance of having spark plug blow out by increasing the number of spark plug hole threads.
  • Improve the coolant flow around cylinder #8 to reduce problems caused by local over heating.
Sooooooo If you get a Panther from a 2001-2002, you will get a Romeo PI with the poorly designed head. Do yourself a favor and source the motor from a 2003+.

Plenty of people out there have swapped a 2000 GT Windsor for a 2003+ PI Romeo (including myself). Search for Windsor to Romeo swap. Ton of threads are out there.