2000 Mustang GT Exhaust Question?

2ValveGuy

Dec 26, 2019
San Diego
Hello Everyone; I’m new to Stangnet. I have a 2000 Mustang Gt 2 Valve. I have a exhaust question. Let me start by saying I currently live in California. I have JBA Shorty Headers with a Borla Stinger Catback. Sound is still to restrictive. Would love to put a mid pipe or long tubes but will fail smog if I do so. I was debating and wondering if I can get the opinions from you all with regards to upgrading to Dougs Headers Electric cut outs to be installed after Catalytic Converters or should I just upgrade to the Borla ATAK Catbacks. Any one of you have any one of these set ups with shorty headers and getting good sound? I was leaning towards the Borla Ataks but have been hearing comments that Ataks and Stingers don’t have too much of a difference in sound with shorty headers and stock mid pipe. Any recommendations would really be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

mid pipes arent hard to change. You can run around with a mid pipe and no cats and swap out to the factory one for your emisison testing. just have a separate tune for each pipe. Or, just move out of CA? lol

Or just worry about it sounding good vs sounding like you are in an old lifted pickup with a single cherry bomb wearing white oakleys a wife beater and a dip of mint skoal in your mouth with cutouts...

The exhaust you have now is fine, if you want to swap out to a catted mid pipe or even an offroad pipe then go for it, its a 30 minute job to swap the stock pipe back in for emissions day.

In my experience, the loudest most obnoxious sounding street cars are the slowest ones 90% of the time.

I also live in California and have to deal with being smog compliant with my cars.

I had Borla Stingers on my '01 Mustang GT convertible, with the factory headers and the factory catt'd H-pipe. I think that it sounded amazing. Very deep rumble, all the way through the rev range.
I have Borla ATAK on my 2006 Magnum SRT8, with the factory headers and factory cats. Yes, they are different engines, but I think that the sound should be comparable (i.e. the ATAK on the 4.6L Mustang). The ATAK is definitely more aggressive sounding. Under full load/throttle, it sounds great until about 3500/4000 rpm. In the higher RPM range it actually turns to more of a scream than a rumble. I couldn't find a Stinger for my Magnum, the ATAK was the only one available. I would rather have the Stinger on my Magnum than the ATAK.

For my '01 Bullitt, I am going with the Stinger again.

Your JBA shorties I believe are smog legal in CA. The only change you could do is to swap out for a smog legal midpipe. Magnaflow sells a 50-state legal catt'd X-pipe. It runs around $1400. However, Rock Auto sells a 50-state legal catt'd X-pipe from a company called Bosal. It's only $650 (out of stock right now). https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10313484&cc=1385636&jsn=318

I bought this for my '01 Bullitt. Turns out, it's the same actual part as the Magnaflow, for a lot cheaper. Here are the parts that I got in that were "Bosal". Everything is branded Magnaflow.

i-7b7qGFt-L.jpg

i-zkxph7f-L.jpg

i-tZ3Q5fp-L.jpg

U
Or just worry about it sounding good vs sounding like you are in an old lifted pickup with a single cherry bomb wearing white oakleys a wife beater and a dip of mint skoal in your mouth with cutouts...

The exhaust you have now is fine, if you want to swap out to a catted mid pipe or even an offroad pipe then go for it, its a 30 minute job to swap the stock pipe back in for emissions day.

In my experience, the loudest most obnoxious sounding street cars are the slowest ones 90% of the time.

I agree most sound like crap. But not when its built. this is my GT with closed and open headers. QTP exhaust cutouts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzclccXlUzk&t=40s