2000 mustang srs air bag ?

gts440

Aug 3, 2011
I bought a 2000 mustang only to discover that the air bags had been deployed after I replaced the bulb. It has a code 19. Will the air bags & control module from a 1998 mustang work? Can I just reset my module myself? Or send mine off to be reset? Thanks, gts

• Sponsors (?)

LFC 19 says to "install new RCM".

An air bag module from a 98 will NOT work in a 99-04. The electrical pin out is completely different.

Information on how to access the cluster diagnostic mode.
Diagnostic Mode - Ford Mustang Forums

>>
Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table DTC a LFC b LFC Priority Description Action To Take
— — 1 The Air Bag Indicator is Illuminated Continuously — RCM Disconnected, Inoperative, or Lost/Low Ignition Feed Go To Pinpoint Test A .
B1342 24 2 RCM Is Faulted INSTALL a new RCM.
B1231 19 3 RCM Crash Data Memory Full INSTALL a new RCM.
B1921 21 4 RCM Bracket Ground Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test B .
C1414 29 5 Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code Go To Pinpoint Test C .
B1887 15 6 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test D .
B1916 15 7 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test E .
B1888 16 8 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test F .
B1925 16 9 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test G .
B1932 32 10 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test H .
B1933 33 11 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test I .
B1934 34 12 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test J .
B1935 35 13 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test K .
B1892 — 17 Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Shorted to Ground or Open Go To Pinpoint Test L .
B1891 — 18 Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test M .
B1869 Tone c 19 Air Bag Indicator Inoperative Go To Pinpoint Test N .
B1870 Tone c 20 Air Bag Indicator Shorted to Battery Go To Pinpoint Test O .
B2477 Continuous — Module Configuration Error INSTALL a new RCM
— — — No Communication with the Restraints Control Module Go To Pinpoint Test P .

a DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code, retrieved using a scan tool.
b LFC: Lamp fault code, flashed on air bag indicator.
c Tone will sound only if additional DTCs are present.

The wiring diagrams for the 98 MY show crash sensors. The wiring diagrams for the 2000 MY do not. I did find this reference in the 2000 workshop manual.

>>from Ford service manual:
The SRS contains two sensors which are integral to the RCM. The RCM is mounted on the center tunnel under the instrument panel.
<<

This leads me to conclude that the sensors are contained within the RCM for the 99-04 MY.

As for your question about a 98 air bag fitting a 2000. IDK. However do have a suggestion. Google search on "replacement air bags". Contact one of the several sources that come right to the top of the list and ask them.

how do i remove the console?

I have my new rcm & have removed the cover with shifter upper boot & the two screws now visible. But the console must be bolted somewhere else? Is it bolted under the compartment? If so how do i remove the compartment? Thanks, gts

yes the air bags off a 98 will fit in the steering wheel , i installed the pasinger side but the connetors were diffrent , i had to cut a tab off the car connector and it fit well . now getting code 35 , i see the list above , can anyone give more info, and i also have abs light on are thay related . need info becaues taking it in to the dealers to reprogram don't want the to sell me more then i need or be tricked