2001 Cobra Engine Advice Needed

Andrew Grady

Jul 19, 2017
Hey guys,
So I bought an 01 cobra about a month back now and it had a nasty knock which I was aware of before looking at the car. From what I heard and what Ive read online Im assuming its a thrown journal bearing. Im in the middle of pulling the motor, but once that happens Im not sure what I am going to do. I plan on throwing in the same motor, whether it be the exact 4.6 32v remachined or if I should try to find a new 4.6l short block and re use the heads. Also if I should just get another short block where is a reputable place that I can get one. Ive looked in a couple of places like Coast performance but I have heard mixed reviews. I want to do this right the first time and not have something put in thats just going to grenade in a year. Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,
So I bought an 01 cobra about a month back now and it had a nasty knock which I was aware of before looking at the car. From what I heard and what Ive read online Im assuming its a thrown journal bearing. Im in the middle of pulling the motor, but once that happens Im not sure what I am going to do. I plan on throwing in the same motor, whether it be the exact 4.6 32v remachined or if I should try to find a new 4.6l short block and re use the heads. Also if I should just get another short block where is a reputable place that I can get one. Ive looked in a couple of places like Coast performance but I have heard mixed reviews. I want to do this right the first time and not have something put in thats just going to grenade in a year. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Stangnet
I updated your title and moved your thread to the '96-04' section. You will get more traffic from the people that know here.
My best advice would be to pull the engine and take it to a reputable machine shop. And proceed with there recommendations

Reactions: 1 user
Is it lack of time or expertise that keeps you from rebuilding it yourself. You can save money and get some real satisfaction doing it yourself. 2001 if I remember correctly may or may not be a Teksid Block(arguably the best one), if Teksid you will definitely want to rebuild yours as they command a premium.

Is it lack of time or expertise that keeps you from rebuilding it yourself. You can save money and get some real satisfaction doing it yourself. 2001 if I remember correctly may or may not be a Teksid Block(arguably the best one), if Teksid you will definitely want to rebuild yours as they command a premium.

I have the intake manifold off and it looks as though I do have the Teksid block. What made them so good?

I plan on at least taking it out and putting it back in. However with some of the more fine detail stuff Ill most likely need some help. But I do plan on doing as much of it as I can by myself.