2001 cobra top end

• Sponsors (?)

She had a little more to give - I just didn't have the nuckles to push it any farther. It was at a time when I was approaching the need for new tires, so I didn't want to press my luck. SVT's website lists the top speed at 150 MPH, but I don't know if it's limited to that or just what they expected to get out of the '01's. I've since added a Magnaflow cat back (love it!) and if we're not limited I suspect I could get her beyond the 150 mark. There just aren't a lot of opportunities to try it safely.

I've had mine up to 140, and it was still pullin when I let off, so I'd guess 150-155 is totally reasonable. It's hairy up there, you want a perfect stretch of fairly fresh pavement and no traffic, but I wouldn't really urge anyone to do it in a stang. Years back I would've done it just to tell my friends, but I'm a little wiser now. In a Z06 or something it's not as big a deal, you can get up and down from those speeds quicker and it's a hell of a lot more aerodynamic and stable. I'd just hate to see someone on here hurt themselves or someone else for the sake of a number, so be careful, folks.

-Chris

My 96 I had up to 135 at the track, I just stayed on her a little after the 1/4 mark. I'll never do that again, the dumpy track I was at, the slow down road isn't the same as the track itself, and I thought I was gonna die, cause it was so bumpy. I had 120MPH on the street, but telephone polls don't look to good at that speed.:rlaugh:

For u guys going past say 130ish...What begins to happen on these things? anything that seems unsafe like unstable or any rear end lift? I know everyone says it is dangerous to go fast, but not including hiting someone else or getting pulled over, what realistically can go wrong at those speeds that would cause a crash?
serious question lol

chuckstang95 said:
For u guys going past say 130ish...What begins to happen on these things? anything that seems unsafe like unstable or any rear end lift? I know everyone says it is dangerous to go fast, but not including hiting someone else or getting pulled over, what realistically can go wrong at those speeds that would cause a crash?
serious question lol
Quite a few things can go wrong actually, here is a list in no particular order.

Tires separating at high speeds "and yes even ZR tires will do this if there are weather worn"

animals crossing the highway " I do my high speed runs in the early saturday or sunday mornings when there is NO TRAFFIC AROUND"

differant types of pavement and pothole cracks, uneven pavement

unexpected traffic "even if you are carefull there still is the danger

mechanicle issues like tranny problems "If you grenade a clutch at 150mph you can have some serious problems"

that is just a few, I do not CONDONE or PUT down people such as myself that do this and street racing, but it is what it is........