2001 GT "Old Car Jostle"

SN95_fanx54

May 13, 2019
Wisconsin
Hey everyone! I have a 2001 GT Premium, TR3650 and I have loved it for 5 years now. But i have a problem....

The beast has 127000 miles on it now and for the first time it feels old. It always has felt tight like a tiger, but the last few days it does that jostle where the whole interior jiggles and makes a rattling noise when it goes over bumps. It reminds me of my old crappy trucks from the past and its eating my soul. I did just put ford racing lowering springs and new shocks in it last year so im sure it made things worse.

My question is, do we think changing bushings on all the control arms will help with this or do i just have to accept that its an old car now?

Thanks!
Jon

• Sponsors (?)

The factory setup does many things to reduce noise/vibration/harshness. Changing tires, bushings, and springs all will change how it feels.

I’d start simple - the springs and shocks/struts are what changed. When you installed your springs - hope you put in spring isolators: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-suspension-bushings.html

If you don’t like how it rides you could of put too stiff a shock/strut or too stiff of springs for your liking. I’d take a look at those two obvious changes before you chase down every bushing in your suspension.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Dark04GT,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, when I put the parts in I put in SR performance Isolators on all springs. I put in KYB Shocks, with relatively OEM dampener rate. The springs were M-05300-B Ford Racing springs, so they are fairly aggressive. Last season when I installed them and did an alignment (with bubble gauges in garage... it was pretty cool) the Stang felt like it rode on rails. I know it desperately needs new tires, and I still have the stock caster camber plates so maybe they drifted a bit.

I just know it did that same shake my rusty old F150 with 300k miles on it did over rail road tracks and I had a panic attack. I don't want my stang to get old.:cry: