2001 GT vs. 2004 nissan 350z

cjist1

Apr 16, 2003
pittsburgh
My buddy just bought a new 350z, its the performance packaged one. I drove it and it feels really quick. Its a real nice car. We were planning on doing some racing soon. What is the 1/4 mi. time for one of those cars? Someone told me that I might take him down low but he would probably pull by me up high. Either way it is a sweet ass car. Ill let you know how the racing goes. Any predictions. My car is mostly stock. Mods are in sig. But im installing my 4.10s real soon.

• Sponsors (?)

AGREE! I am guessing you will clock him though because he will be thinking "I don't want to ruin my $32k car!" And you'll be thinking "I got to beat his azz with my car that cost half as much" BUT he'll also be thinking "my car is cooler and I get better chicks so I don't want to bust it up" and you'll be thinking "I need to beat his azz good so I can steal his beeach" and then you'll be thinking "How much more is this butt-head going to keep typing thiese stupid questions?"

snoopy98 said:
good luck on the race i raced a g35 i think they are called looks just like a 350z and wasted it really bad at the track beat it by about 2 car lengths
Yea, they both have the vq35 engine in them. Its pretty heavy. My old man owns a Z, and it responds pretty well to mods. We raced from a pull a few times and he beat me-and I'm not exactly stock either. But its gonna be a drivers race. If you go on some back roads with twisties-you're screwed. :rlaugh:

one my friends buddies has a new z. He runs 14.1 14.2 s. So as long as you can drive it should be close. Or you should beat him. Its going to depend on the driver. HTey are hevier. And have less tourqe. So get him of the line and keep it to the floor. :flag:

I must have raced a guy who couldnt drive. The guy had his g/f with him in the car and took off from a 4 waystop infront of me. He knew we were racing as he chirped the tires a bit as we moved ahead each car toward the stop sign. He took off first and I tracked him down quickly and proceeded to pull away from him. I quit at about 100 and was a good way away from him. new deep blue 350Z. I was not impressed espescially since I knew it was a 35K dollar car and he was actually the instigator a mile or so before te stop sign. I just laughed at him in traffic because I knew the 4 way stop was just over the hill and that is my spot. 410s and drag radials and I ate his lunch real quick and real hard. Needless to say he was :owned: . He must have not been able to drive :shrug:

:lol: that was a really good kill i bet he hated you or just thought like a prick and made himself feel good. i bet this is what he thought my car is 10k more than his and looks better. to bad his girl was like this car sucks i love that mustang :D :D :D :D

Just because its more expensive and not faster doesnt mean its a waste of $$. You get what you pay for. IMO the 350z the best sports car bargain going right now. You can get into a base model for just over 26K sticker. Sure they can get 35K but thats with navigation, 18" light weight wheels, stock brembos, etc etc etc.

They drive amazingly well and look awesome imo. I still prefer the sound and looks of my mustang and the 6-15K price difference is also nice.

In a drag race you should be able to beat him, but from a 100mph roll it might be a different story. I was driving from AZ to CA and came upon one of these cars. Its all open desert highway out there, so driving fast is not a problem. I look in my rearview mirror and I see this guy coming up on me at like a hundred miles an hour (I was doing like 80) There was no way I was going to let this guy pass me like that, so I got on it and we were both doing over hundred. At around 130 he started to pull away from me pretty good (I had already got a ticket for speed in excess of a hundred miles an hour, so I just didnt feel comfortable pushing my luck any further) Ive noticed that with the 4:10's in my car I have a hard time beating anyone from 80mph on. It kind of sucks having to try and compete with someone from a roll when your in fifth gear and they can still drop down to third or fourth. I mean I could probably drop down to fourth for a split second, but I hate the idea of droping down and having the revs be so close to redline.

Go HoTO! said:
AGREE! I am guessing you will clock him though because he will be thinking "I don't want to ruin my $32k car!" And you'll be thinking "I got to beat his azz with my car that cost half as much" BUT he'll also be thinking "my car is cooler and I get better chicks so I don't want to bust it up" and you'll be thinking "I need to beat his azz good so I can steal his beeach" and then you'll be thinking "How much more is this butt-head going to keep typing thiese stupid questions?"

:rlaugh:

snoopy98 said:
:lol: that was a really good kill i bet he hated you or just thought like a prick and made himself feel good. i bet this is what he thought my car is 10k more than his and looks better. to bad his girl was like this car sucks i love that mustang :D :D :D :D

It was a great kill because he had instigated it way before the stop sign and that is my spot. Daily dumps of the clutch at 4 grand from a standstill has definitely made this a favorite of mine on the way home from work. many kills have happened there. I have been killed there also by some SS camaros so you know. I know he was embarrassed with his girl in the car but I am no smart ass so I didnt talk smack after so it was cool. Funny thing is thatr now when i see him, he wont even look at me or come within a car of my rear bumper because he knows he will be :owned: again and this time worse because last time he took off first. :banana: :rlaugh:

Since I own both here is my unbiased opinion. I didn't have it when my stang was stock, so I don't have any back to back runs both stock. But the Z has an outrageously steep rear gear and transmission gearing. I guess it's equal to about a 4.10 in the stang. 6th gear in my Z is the same as 4th gear in my mustang and I have stock 3.27 gears,by that I mean the speed at a set mph is the same rpm in both cars (6th in Z, 4th in stang). So the Z definetly feels faster than a stock stang. But overall I think its close, but If I was driving both cars I think I would be faster in the Z. Like others have said it's really a drivers race, if you drove both cars I think you would probably agree that the Z probably has a slight edge. If the mustang was allowed an equal rear gear, it would probably even it out about exactly. It's not far behind on torque and it's got 27 more hp than a stock stang. But to be fair I don't think these cars can be judged as being in the same field. The Z just inspires confidence on the back roads. It handles like nothing I have drove before. My wife can walk off and leave me on the backroads and my stang has 400rwhp and eibach sportline springs, konis, front strut tower brace, 265/35ZR18 BFG G-Force tires, and the Z is bone stock. But the mustang is definetly a better strip/street car. With the independent rear end in the Z if I launch hard at all it wheel hops so bad it feels like the cars is coming apart. For me the Z doesn't really needed to be modded, it's a high dollar car that is good out of the box and just needs to be driven. It's a great 2 person road trip car, it's got great power, excellent gearing in the transmission, it's superstable at high interstate speeds and is very quiet plus It's a terror on the backroads, it feels like it's on rails.