Engine 2002 Gt With 91,000 Miles (oil Looks Like Metallic Paint)

tyler3663

Dec 27, 2016
I've had the car for over a year now. The first couple of oil changes i never seemed to notice anything unusual with the oil. But i decided to catch the oil this time (because i have a large oil drum for draining oil into), and i notice it looks sparkly with metal. Now everywhere I've read people have talked about flakes, but this is really really fine metal. Not enough to feel on your finger tips when you rub them together. It is definitely silver in color, and is not magnetic (aluminum?). I'm a little concerned, since the car only has 91,000 miles. I myself, have never even red lined this car. I do occasionally drive it hard up to 80 or so (i mean come on, it's a mustang!). I ordered an oil analysis kit, but I'm just confused at why i would be having problems with such low miles. Even if the car was driven hard time to time.

• Sponsors (?)

Unusual at those miles but not unheard of.Can you hear the chain hitting the cover? I would see what the analysis says and cut open your last filter changed(if you still have other old ones those too)and see what is in there. If you are really worried I would hook up a good mechanical or real electric oil pressure gauge and check the pressures. The stock one is a glorified idiot light.

Unusual at those miles but not unheard of.Can you hear the chain hitting the cover? I would see what the analysis says and cut open your last filter changed(if you still have other old ones those too)and see what is in there. If you are really worried I would hook up a good mechanical or real electric oil pressure gauge and check the pressures. The stock one is a glorified idiot light.

I actually did cut open the old filter, and there didn't seem to be anything in it

Oil analysis

Attachments

• IMG_4374.jpg
    IMG_4374.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 238
Pistons are made of an aluminum alloy with a silicon component (that's what makes them hypereutectic.) Wear of a piston skirt might lead to those findings.

If the engine's not making any noise nor consuming gobs of oil I'd just keep an eye on it. Run some decent oil, change it and the filter fairly frequently and perhaps have another oil analysis done in 5 or 10K miles.