2002 Mustang GT Exhaust Mods

Blue02GT

Apr 15, 2004
I've had some good feedback on CAI questions, and what seems to be a hanging throttle (dismissed as normal)

I have a few questions for the experts. The car is an 02 GT, and it has aftermarket mufflers (flowmaster I assume, but not sure). It has a good sound to it, and occasionally a raspy sound on 2-3 acceration.

I've read in the posts about x pipes, H pipes, off road pipes, headers, etc. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advatage to using the X pipe?

What is the stock exhaust configuration, and what are the most common exhaust mods (other than the mufflers).

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

The stock exhaust configuration on your car included exhaust manifolds, an h-pipe with a total of 4 catalytic converters, and a cat-back exhaust. Switching to an aftermarket x-pipe or h-pipe AND cat-back exhaust usually yields an additional 5-20 hp, depending on the type of midpipe (x or h, with high-flow catalytic converters or no catalytic converters), the restriction in the mufflers, the size of the tubing used in the whole setup, and any other engine modifications you might have.

Although I'm not an expert by any means, I've heard in layman's terms that switching to an x-pipe usually yields slightly higher top-end power, but sacrifices some low-end torque. In an otherwise stock car, that's not so much of a big deal, but I really don't spend much time in the upper RPM range. I don't race my car and I can't speak for those who do, but most people that switch the exhaust on their street-only Mustangs do so for an improvement in sound. Any added power is a bonus. X-pipes sound a little different than h-pipes, and the sound is really a matter of preference. Both pipes allow for a great V8 sound, and most people seem to be happy with whatever they have chosen. I have an x-pipe with high-flow cats (one per side), and I love it. Other drivers swear by their h-pipes.

Hopefully, someone who races will respond to this post and can clarify the powerband differences between h-pipes and x-pipes.

Blue02GT said:
I've had some good feedback on CAI questions, and what seems to be a hanging throttle (dismissed as normal)

I have a few questions for the experts. The car is an 02 GT, and it has aftermarket mufflers (flowmaster I assume, but not sure). It has a good sound to it, and occasionally a raspy sound on 2-3 acceration.

I've read in the posts about x pipes, H pipes, off road pipes, headers, etc. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advatage to using the X pipe?

What is the stock exhaust configuration, and what are the most common exhaust mods (other than the mufflers).

Thanks,
Some good advice here...yep, the H has a more classic Mustang sound as opposed to the described "exotic" sound...(good description). The X does sacrifice low end torque for high end power, but, if you have enough gear, this isn't really an issue, since you'll be in the power band more often than not. Therefore most people are recommending an X over an H. But it is personal pref. Ck out www.mustangexhaust.com to hear soundclips of various combos. You do have to register to play the clips, but registration is free and quick.
Another little piece of advice...replace the exhaust pieces from back to front, meaning, replace the cat-back system first, then the factory H & cats, then headers. Since you already have aftermarket mufflers, I'd replace the H pipe next. The tailpipes (behind the muffler to the back bumper) are not that restrictive on the gen2 sn95s. If money grows on trees, then I'd rip it all out and go with a full aftermarket catback. There is some gain to be had with slightly larger, mandrel bent piping, but it's not a huge gain.
Regarding the hanging throttle and your CAI,...has it corrected itself yet? Mine did, after a week of driving, when I replaced my induction system on my 02. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for the 2 hours it took to install the C&L and Accufab parts. Other than a nasty (good!) sucking induction sound when blipping the throttle at idle, mine sounds and idles like a stocker. And I like it like that...sneaky!
Best of luck and Welcome to StangNet!