2003 4.6 Rear end gears

yelladawg351

Nov 27, 2005
My friend advise me not to change my 03 GT(3.27) rear end gears cause the motor responds to the stock setup. He said it would hinder performance and cause my ride to be sluggish. Is this correct. Please expain.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing this friend has a somewhat quick car and doesn't want you to be faster. :rlaugh:
The car will feel much quicker and will probably be easier to launch out of the hole with steeper gears. The downside is higher rpms on the highway and normally slightly worse gas mileage. The only time gears would not be benifitial to you, is if you plan to run a power adder on street tires. Then, it is too easy to overwhelm the traction of the street tires.

No. I have a 5 speed. But he said Ford really did the research and put the correct gears in the GT. He told me it would be a waste of money.

Just like when ford did the research to put the correct gears in the fox mustangs 2.79 , 3.03 :rlaugh: , Ford only picked 3.27 gears for a even split in Gas Mileage and Performane !

My 03 was easier to launch and a lot faster once I changed to 4.30's. With the stock gears, you have to balance it between bogging or spinning. With 4.30's, launch soft and stab it and it just goes. It was rare that anyone got the jump on me.

I was really thinkin about 3.55 caus it seems to be the perfect gear. Gas mileage and performnce. What u think? I had 3.90 on my my 95 393 ci. set up and it was pefect but just a lil steep. It was a 5 speed also,

The only reason I post this is becaus my 95 with the 393ci. set up was tuned into a track monster with the 3.90 gears. I'm tryin to pick a balance. Those Chevrolet guys are tearin us up on the street cause we can not get the right combos. I know from expeirience. My main goals is a cam upgrade cause it is cheaper than supercharger and will kiss me every day I turn it on. Love those Cam Exhaust sounds.

I would consider 3.73s to be mild for a 4.6. When you say 3.55, I'm thinking why bother.

I'd agree. I've got 3.73s in my 02 and find them perfect for my combo and driving style. Top gear highway revs are still quite low but it's much livelier around town. I can see why guys would go as high as, say, 4.10s though I personally wouldn't. To each his own.

But 3.55s are just too close to stock, being just 8.6% shorter (versus the 14% shorter that 3.73s are) that it makes me say "why bother?"

The mod motor doesn't mind the additional revs (in fact, it relishes them) and at just 281 cubes it really does need more torque multiplication than it got from Ford.

The thing is, the 393 probably had alot of low end, our mod motors do not. Our engines scream up top, which is why gears are do beneficial and improve SOTP the most. 3.90 on a 393 might have been too much, but even 4.10 on our modular 281's can be insufficient. You say you want to be wise about buying parts, and if you go with 3.55's you won't feel much of a difference and you'll wish you'd gone with steeper gears.

Just look around here, most n/a setups are running steeper than 3.55, I usually only see those gears on blower/turbo setups that have alot of lowend and do not benefit from a steeper gear (like your 393).

Not enough difference between 3.27's and 3.55's to make any difference. Unless your getting them for free, I would ditch that idea. 3.73's, 3.90's, or 4.10's would be your best bet. From the way your talking it sounds to me like you should go with 3.73's.

LOL your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

The 4.6 mod motors make the majority of their power in the higher RPM's (unlike the torque monster 5.0's). So the faster you can get up into the upper RPM range, the quicker your will feel/be. Gears (especially 4.10's) accomplish this quite well.

Damn. Excuse my English. I respect all u guys opinion and prolly go with 3.90 only because it seems to be right in the middle. Only problem is Ford Racin does not make it but Motive gears does. But Motive is a great choice cause I had them in my 95. Love that combination. Thanks again for your input. Money will be well spent wisely :) .

No. I have a 5 speed. But he said Ford really did the research and put the correct gears in the GT. He told me it would be a waste of money.

Than explain to me why ford is now offering the GT with 3.73 track pack, and I could be wrong but the 2010 GT500 comes with 3.55 or 3.73 stock...ford got wise to what performance enthusiasts wanted and actually listened for once.