2003 4.6L Not Starting

Hello, New poster here. I have a 2003 Saleen S-281 with 17k miles on it. The car has the 4.6L V8 and is not supercharged. The car is in great shape and all maintenance is up to date. The car sat for about six weeks after I had surgery and this morning when I went to take it out it would not start. It’s sat before for a few weeks at a time and I’ve never had an issue before.

The battery is ok. I checked the volts 12.5 and tried to use my jump n go also to start it. It’s cranking very strongly it’s just not turning over. I tried some starter fluid in the air intake and had no results. I’m guessing it’s a fuel filter or something with the fuel system since the electrical and starter seem OK. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I’m not really Mr Mechanic so I’ve already made an appointment at the dealership to have it looked at (in a couple weeks) but I’m open to trying other things in the interim if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you.

EKinSC

• Sponsors (?)

Yes I tried the starter fluid in the intake to no avail. I ran the OBDII meter today and it's not throwing any codes. Not sure how to check for spark? I've seen a couple youtube videos on it but haven't tried it. I don't have an inline spark tester tool but I will order one from Amazon.

EKinSC

I hadn’t heard of the PATS issue so I had to read up on it. I’ve tried both keyfobs, locking and unlocking the wheels and a couple other suggestions I read online. The THEFT light blinks while off but turns off after turning the ignition to the on position.

EKinSC

It ended up being the fuel pump. I noticed it wasn't activating when I turned the ignition over so I mentioned it to the mechanic. He took about 15 minutes to isolate it and they changed it out. Works fine now but ouch it hurts the budget!

EKinSC

It ended up being the fuel pump. I noticed it wasn't activating when I turned the ignition over so I mentioned it to the mechanic. He took about 15 minutes to isolate it and they changed it out. Works fine now but ouch it hurts the budget!

EKinSC

If you don't mind me asking, what did he charge you for a new fuel pump? Labor and the part? I got a new one in my GT a few months back and the guy raped me.

It was $680 and some change. I had a fuel pump replaced about ten years ago in a Lincoln Mk VII and it was about $590 then so it seemed reasonable. I checked on repairpal.com and they said the average cost is $446-$608 so it was a little higher. They also replaced the fuel filter and some gasket at the fuel nozzle opening that was cracked and a couple other little things so it seemed fair. I've got an honest mechanic who has about 100 positive Yelp reviews and 30+ years of experience treating people right so I guess I'm lucky. The Ford dealer I called were over $800 for the same job!

EKinSC

Reactions: 1 user
It was $680 and some change. I had a fuel pump replaced about ten years ago in a Lincoln Mk VII and it was about $590 then so it seemed reasonable. I checked on repairpal.com and they said the average cost is $446-$608 so it was a little higher. They also replaced the fuel filter and some gasket at the fuel nozzle opening that was cracked and a couple other little things so it seemed fair. I've got an honest mechanic who has about 100 positive Yelp reviews and 30+ years of experience treating people right so I guess I'm lucky. The Ford dealer I called were over $800 for the same job!

EKinSC

Yeah, I had a shop that used to do decent work around 10 years ago. Then I went to them for my fuel pump among some other things and they raped me. I gave them a horrible review on Yelp. See for yourself. I should be the most recent review, "Gary Y". People are voting for it as "useful" so hopefully I've stopped some of their business. https://www.yelp.com/biz/master-tech-automotive-service-colorado-springs-2

I like working on Fords, Have had F150s and Rangers through the years. but the fuel pumps suck. Changed one in an RX8 and in an Eclipse, both were a half dozen screws on an access plate, another half dozen on the pump. done in 15 min. by an amateur. and $100 bucks for a pump.