2003 GT 4.6L oil filter threaded insert questions

Hey guys. I have a common problem with an oil leak at the oil filter adapter/cooler. It has been seeping very slightly during the summer and when the weather cooled down and the oil was thicker, it would leak heavily after startup and slow to a trickle as the engine heated up. It would practically pour out until it warmed up. I've removed the cooler to replace the gasket between the iron block and adapter. I did try to tighten the threaded insert first, but it still leaked. I've read several threads about the orings in these coolers, but none have addressed the question I have. My cooler/adapter is one piece except for the threaded insert that the oil fliter screws on to. I removed the insert to check the orings that I've read are supposed to be on it and there aren't any orings on it, but there are grooves that look like there should be orings in them. I've looked all over and can't find the orings parts anywhere. Are there supposed to be orings on this insert? I'm attaching a pic. My insert is not as long as some I've seen pics of. It's only about 2" long.

Attachments

• 2019-11-10 05.47.11.png
    2019-11-10 05.47.11.png
    530 KB · Views: 136
  • Sponsors (?)

i dont know if there is supposed to be o rings but i agree with you it certainly looks like it. it would be very hard to find the specific part number if there even is one. I would just get a pack of oil resistant o rings and look for correct size/fitment since o rings are cheap as hell

Thanks NWS. I have thought about that and even test fitted some from my oring kits. I do need some oil resistant ones, if I do that. I'd really like to know for sure first. I'll check with Ford dealer, at least for conformation. Maybe someone else knows too.