2003 Mach 1 3650 Tremec Trans.

Hey guys .....Just installed a new MGW shifter in car & am still getting used to much tighter / precise shifts......had a slight miss-shift last night @ low speeds / lazy shift from 2nd-3rd & it poped out , was not all the way in gear when I let the clutch out........ouch ! ..... approx. 30 MPH..... it seems to be fine ....always try t make sure its all the way in gear so it does not pop out.....new shifter is awesome but different......just wondering how tough Tremec 3650 are......can they handle minor abuse like this......I do not race the car or hard shift it .......14,000 easy original miles on it

• Sponsors (?)

3650 isn't the weakest trans in the world. Certainly not the strongest either. If it isn't giving any problems,making strange noises after the mishap, your probably good.

New shifters need a little break in time and time for the driver to adjust. I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of missing gears but once in a while shouldn't destroy the transmission.

3650 isn't the weakest trans in the world. Certainly not the strongest either. If it isn't giving any problems,making strange noises after the mishap, your probably good.

New shifters need a little break in time and time for the driver to adjust. I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of missing gears but once in a while shouldn't destroy the transmission.
Right on Matt....your words have the ring of truth...Thanx....

What kind of fluid are you running ?

As long as you use a good fluid you're probably fine. I've grinded in my tr3650 so many times it's crazy. But it still is fine. I've learned that you should definitely use the recommended automatic transmission fluid which sounds weird but I tried Royal purple synchromax and it didn't work out so well. Switched to Valvoline ATF and love it. Yeah it's not a super good tranny at all but it's decently tough!!:D

As long as you use a good fluid you're probably fine. I've grinded in my tr3650 so many times it's crazy. But it still is fine. I've learned that you should definitely use the recommended automatic transmission fluid which sounds weird but I tried Royal purple synchromax and it didn't work out so well. Switched to Valvoline ATF and love it. Yeah it's not a super good tranny at all but it's decently tough!!:D
Ten four.....looked @ the Valvoline last night , but came home with the Mobil 1....still has factory fluid in it until this week - end......just took it out for a spin before work & it feels great....love this shifter....thanks for your input !

Reactions: 1 user