2003 Mustang 3.8 Ticking Noise

Rafel Salcido

Feb 4, 2014
I recently bought a 2003 Mustang 3.8 Automatic, and it has a tick/tap noise coming somewhere from the engine bay. The noise speeds up as the rpms go higher. I have checked the oil level and it was good, and then I changed the oil and added a bottle of Lucas Oil stabilizer. I've read on some forums that it could be an exhaust leak or noisy valve... it is not a hissing noise it is a definite tapping noise... any help is greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I recently bought a 2003 Mustang 3.8 Automatic, and it has a tick/tap noise coming somewhere from the engine bay. The noise speeds up as the rpms go higher. I have checked the oil level and it was good, and then I changed the oil and added a bottle of Lucas Oil stabilizer. I've read on some forums that it could be an exhaust leak or noisy valve... it is not a hissing noise it is a definite tapping noise... any help is greatly appreciated

First, just check the belt just to be sure. Then, I would get the exhaust looked at. It could very well be an exhaust leak. I used to have a 3.8 and it eventually got the same problem. If you do get it looked at, have the engine mounts looked at as well. One of mine was broken, and the exhaust by the engine kept breaking apart over time due to the stress of the engine reving and the pressure leaning on the exhaust.

First, just check the belt just to be sure. Then, I would get the exhaust looked at. It could very well be an exhaust leak. I used to have a 3.8 and it eventually got the same problem. If you do get it looked at, have the engine mounts looked at as well. One of mine was broken, and the exhaust by the engine kept breaking apart over time due to the stress of the engine reving and the pressure leaning on the exhaust.

Also if I were you, if it is the exhaust, and you do get it fixed, get a couple hangar bars put on. Its cheap and does not take long. It will help prevent the exhaust piping from breaking as easy since the weight will be better balanced out on the piping