2003 Mustang Gt Starting Problem Cranks No Start First Try

mark32

Nov 15, 2015
So my 2003 gt does not start on the first try but the 2nd try starts up within 2 seconds. I have a 78mm throttle body cold air intake.I cleaned the IAC and egr still nothing I checked the fuel pressure got around 30-40 psi. Changed fuel filter was really black and dirty. Not sure if fuel injectors are clogged or I heard alternator might be a problem but I dont know how it would affect starting. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Alternator isn't likely to cause a long crank problem.

If clogged injectors are suspected then consider an injector cleaning and flow test service such as injectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new.

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Listen for the the fuel pump to run. Does the theft light go off after a 3 second "prove out"?

Now turn the key on/pause/off several times without cranking. Does this improve starting?

Alternator isn't likely to cause a long crank problem.

If clogged injectors are suspected then consider an injector cleaning and flow test service such as injectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new.

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Listen for the the fuel pump to run. Does the theft light go off after a 3 second "prove out"?

Now turn the key on/pause/off several times without cranking. Does this improve starting?

I usually do turn the key on multiple times without starting and sometimes it does help. I also always hear the fuel pump prime. I've put injector cleaner in the tank couple bottles. It seems to start up on the 2nd try without any problems its just the first try it never starts.