2005-09 MUSTANG GT 85MM COLD AIR KIT WITH PREMIUM CAL

ProfilerGT

Mar 15, 2009
Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-9603-GTB***]

I purchased a new 09 GT (auto) a few weeks back and couldnt more happy with my choice.

Now that being said, I wanted to look into CAI w/o voiding the standard warranty. I wont mind so much once i put on 5k or so but until I know all the kinks that are going to happen, happen I'd like to keep the warranty in good standing for the time being.

So I assume I could go with the above link CAI by ford and have a ford auth. service station install it so its covered.

Now my question are
A) is it worth it
B) whether it is or not what type of power difference could I expect to see from what I have now (nothing totally stock)
C) I assume the 20Hp gain is only in print and may not be actual HP but would you notice a difference in acceleration? would 20 hp make a car go from 0-60 in 5.2 drop to 5.0? or more like 5.1999999...

These are the questions going on in my head since I lack any and all knowledge when it comes down to cars :nonono:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you are worried about kinks in the first 5k why not wait until they are all ironed out before adding on to the car. Once you feel comfortable with additions go with a CAI combo from either Bama Chips, Brenspeed, or VMP. Those are the most popular tuners around this site and have always heard of good power gains from them all. I think you would probably be happier with one of those in the long run.

There is no reason why to be concerned about losing your warranty with a cai and tune. I really don't think it's worth it to get a cai and not a tune but that's just me. I doubt you'll ever need your warranty anyways. The S197 platform is a very reliable car.

I was curious if I would see the performance gain difference from the 09 Gt to the 2010 since those came with the standar CAI now (not sure if its the same as the one I listed). Since the 2010 models now claimed 0-60 in 4.9 or so I didnt know if that was in direct response to the CAI standard or if there was something else I was missing. I understand what your saying about warranty. My reasons behind that is murphy's law. I figure if I didnt go the warranty covered route and something happend I'd have to listen to my wife day in and day out which would cost me my sanity...

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-9603-GTB***]

I purchased a new 09 GT (auto) a few weeks back and couldnt more happy with my choice.

Now that being said, I wanted to look into CAI w/o voiding the standard warranty. I wont mind so much once i put on 5k or so but until I know all the kinks that are going to happen, happen I'd like to keep the warranty in good standing for the time being.

So I assume I could go with the above link CAI by ford and have a ford auth. service station install it so its covered.

Now my question are
A) is it worth it
B) whether it is or not what type of power difference could I expect to see from what I have now (nothing totally stock)
C) I assume the 20Hp gain is only in print and may not be actual HP but would you notice a difference in acceleration? would 20 hp make a car go from 0-60 in 5.2 drop to 5.0? or more like 5.1999999...

These are the questions going on in my head since I lack any and all knowledge when it comes down to cars :nonono:

Thanks

The topic of CA Intakes is probably, by far, the most discussed topic in any Mustang forum. There are thousands of opinions out there, here's mine.
If the purpose of a CAI is to bring in cooler air than the stock air box, then it appears the FRPP intake has the best design of any out there. Any of the major intakes are capable of flowing way more air than stock but since they also flow more than the engine can use, what's the advantage between them? I doubt there is any. That leaves the tune. I have both Bama & Tillman and like them both. Since I already had an X3 I didn't want to spend the money on the Pro-Cal. If I was starting from scratch like you are, I would go with the Ford tune. I'm sure it doesn't put out as much hp as the Bama etc. tunes but the fact that the Ford tune lets you keep your warranty and is emissions legal is worth it imo.

I have that set-up on an 08 GT automatic. You can feel a difference but it comes on late (4500 rpm). Very easy to install but uses a paper filter. :notnice: I've been looking for a cloth-type filter but no one has it. K&N will build a custom one but it won't be an exact fit due to the odd filter opening. .2 seconds in 0-60, I doubt it, quarter mile yes. Also look into gears (4.10:1) and an x-pipe.

EDIT: 91 octane isn't easily found, should of been 93. :shrug: Thats Ford for you.

Save your money for something that will make a difference (i.e. supercharger). If you really want to see a difference that will put a smile on your face, there are complete supercharger kits out there for $3800 that will safely give you up to 400rwhp. I am going this route now. If you are not ready to take this step, the biggest bang for your buck in noticeable performance will be gears ($189+labor). Many say they noticed a significant difference with the CAI and tune but really it is not the CAI making the difference. The tune is what makes the difference because it change the way your car responds and shifts (w/ auto). The tune will all but eliminate the throttle lag (#1 reason for getting the tune). You can spend $650-$750 on a CAI and tune; just get the tune for $380 (including tuner) and put the extra $270-$370 toward gears.