2005 GT Brake Pedal To The Floor - Losing Stopping Power

lawd..hammercy

Aug 16, 2018
Illinois
Hey all,

I am a little baffled by this one. This is happening intermittently. Notice it about a month or two ago, it disappeared, and now it is back. Brake booster went bad about 2-3 years ago and had it replaced. Now the brake system is doing the same thing (pedal to the floor and severe loss of stopping power). The reservoir doesn't look great, but no leaks anywhere and it does not seem like the brake fluid is contaminated or that there are air bubbles in the reservoir. Any ideas??

2005 GT Auto

• Sponsors (?)

If vacuum is great to booster, master cylinder has probably started bypassing after sucking air. I'd probably put the MC on it, bleed it correctly pushing new brake fluid thru, andf if that doesn't do it, take it to Ford and have them diagnose it.

The problem is either a bad brake booster again or a bad master cylinder. If the brake pedal feels spongy I'd say it's the MC but if the pedal consistently goes to the floor with very little stopping power, replace the brake booster. Don't be surprised if you end up replacing both.