2005 Mustang V6 CDC shaker size question

ituba

Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone here have the CDC shaker system for their 05-09 V6 Mustang? A friend of mine owns an 05 Mustang in Hungary and would love to have one. They are not sold in Hungary and having one shipped there is not practical/possible because of the size. What we are wondering is if I could buy one here in the USA, repack the contents of the box into a suitcase, and take it with me next time I fly to Hungary. I know that the box the shaker system is sold in is a little too big for checked luggage on a plane, unless one is willing to pay a ransom for oversize luggage. So my question for those of you that own such a shaker is what the dimensions of the largest part are.

I realize that which part is largest may not be well-defined, but without owning such a shaker system myself, I cannot tell for sure which part is the critical one in terms of fitting into a standard-size suitcase. Could it be the riser? Or the scoop itself?

Thank you for your help.

Imre

• Sponsors (?)

Couldn't find the size of one but it seems to me it would fit in a larger suite case. The kind with the wheels. By looking at pictures of it, looks to be around 2 feet wide. Just a guess :(

Edit: I searched everywhere and can't find the dimensions of it :(

Last edited:
Couldn't find the size of one but it seems to me it would fit in a larger suite case. The kind with the wheels. By looking at pictures of it, looks to be around 2 feet wide. Just a guess :(

Edit: I searched everywhere and can't find the dimensions of it :(

Thanks for taking an interest and trying to find the dimensions for me. I agree that it looks like it should fit in large suitcase. What gives me pause is that the original box it comes in exceeds the airlines' limit for check-in luggage by just a little bit. I would think that the manufacturer would try to pack the parts into the smallest possible box since the size of the box determines their shipping costs.

I have also searched up and the down the web for the dimensions of the individual pieces, and have even called the manufacturer, but all I was able to find is the dimensions of the box, You'd think calling CDC would be a good way to get the info, but the problem is that the guy that answers the phone is sitting in an office somewhere and does not have access to the actual boxes, which are sitting in a warehouse somewhere else. I imagine if he really wanted to find the dimensions for me, he'd be able to get a hold of someone within his company that can just open up a box and measure them. But he did not really want to. I have also called the retail distributors in my area to see if any of them had the shaker in stock, so I could go look at it. Nobody did. I guess it's an expensive item and they don't sell enough of them to be worth keeping it in stock.

I have a CDC scoop on my 06 GT, I imagine the scoop itself is the same between the engines, just the mounting brackets being a bit different. That being said, after measuring my scoop, you would want at least 22"x24" and 8" thick to carry this thing. The scoop itself can be disassembled further into more pieces as well. There aren't a lot of other parts that come with it, the trim ring, some brackets and the hose that connects to your airbox. I see no reason you couldn't fit it into a suitcase with some clothes to help protect it. I'd use a hard shell suitcase just in case though, these scoops aren't cheap and would hate to see it get damaged by the airline.

I have a CDC scoop on my 06 GT, I imagine the scoop itself is the same between the engines, just the mounting brackets being a bit different. That being said, after measuring my scoop, you would want at least 22"x24" and 8" thick to carry this thing. The scoop itself can be disassembled further into more pieces as well. There aren't a lot of other parts that come with it, the trim ring, some brackets and the hose that connects to your airbox. I see no reason you couldn't fit it into a suitcase with some clothes to help protect it. I'd use a hard shell suitcase just in case though, these scoops aren't cheap and would hate to see it get damaged by the airline.

Thank you Sycostang67 for measuring it, I would also guess that the difference between the GT and the V6 versions is in the mounting pieces and not the scp itself. That size seems like it would fit in a large suitcase. I would of course pad it with clothes to protect it from damage. What is the scoop made of? Is the trim ring the same width x length as the scoop?

Thank you Sycostang67 for measuring it, I would also guess that the difference between the GT and the V6 versions is in the mounting pieces and not the scp itself. That size seems like it would fit in a large suitcase. I would of course pad it with clothes to protect it from damage. What is the scoop made of? Is the trim ring the same width x length as the scoop?
Well crap, I just watched a video on the 05-09 V6 shaker and the scoop is totally different. The scoop has a huge cover shield attached to it that covers the whole top of the motor. Mine is just the scoop itself that sits on top of the motor. V6 on the left, mine on the right. I suppose you could wear it as a hat and scream religious persecution if someone asks you to remove it. :D

Attachments

• CDC V6 shaker.JPG
    CDC V6 shaker.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 54
  • CDCscoop2.jpg
    CDCscoop2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: 1 user
Well crap, I just watched a video on the 05-09 V6 shaker and the scoop is totally different. The scoop has a huge cover shield attached to it that covers the whole top of the motor. Mine is just the scoop itself that sits on top of the motor. V6 on the left, mine on the right. I suppose you could wear it as a hat and scream religious persecution if someone asks you to remove it. :D

Thanks for looking into this further. Yes, indeed, that plastic cover shield for the V6 looks like the bulkiest part. Judging from the pictures, the scoop itself is likely to be the same. That plastic shield looks to be about twice as wide and 40% longer than the scoop, so if you are saying that the scoop has a footprint of 22" by 24" that would make the shield something like 44" wide and 34" long. Of course, my estimates could be quite inaccurate because the shield appears to be more square in the photo than that. The whole contraption also seems quite tall.

BTW, your suggestion, Sycostang67, to take the shaker on the airplane by wearing it as a hat is pretty funny. Many years ago, when budget airlines started their operation in Europe, I took one of their flights from London to Budapest as part of my annual journey back to Hungary to visit my family. I was allowed only one 15 kg check-in luggage. So I had a 15 kg suitcase to check in, but I was wearing a jacket that weighed another 15 kg with all the stuff in its pockets.

Reactions: 1 user