2005 Press kit...

steve94 said:
i dont get it, are u supporting or dissing V6's?
It took twin turbos to get into the 11s, how impressive :rolleyes:

and i thought fords plan was to eventually have the 3.0 in the stangs, but that it juts wasnt ready yet?

Either way, i hope the 4.0 is not an indication of weight, but ive heard they will be slightly heavier.
he did it for 4600 with stock engine and an auto, i think its is pretty good, how much to get a gt into the 11's?

• Sponsors (?)

TrueBlueCajun said:
Well the '04 Ranger's 4.0l specs are this:

Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 4 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 207 hp
Max Horsepower: 5250 rpm
Torque: 238 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3000 rpm

Remember, the '03 F-150 had the 4.6l like the GT, but had these numbers....

Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 4.6 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 231 hp
Max Horsepower: 4750 rpm
Torque: 293 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3500 rpm

So, the 4.0l '05 Mustang may actually have around 225+ hp in it. :shrug: It seems they can get more out of the engine in a car.

No. Notice how the 4.6L had less HP, but more torque. They just used a different cam in the 4.6L for the F-150, as they should have. The cam itself is made to produce more low end torque because you want more torque in a truck then HP, as torque decides how much you can carry and towe. So the 4.0L in the 05 may have less torque, but more HP. I also think that it will carry the torque high into the RPM band then the Rangers 4.0L

-Shaun

Thanks for posting that Tyler. Interesting about the 4.0 V6. What kind of reputation does this engine have for durability, tweakability, etc.?

For someone like myself considering picking up a 05 used, the V6 (which is considerably cheaper to begin with, depreciates faster than the GTs, is much more plentiful in terms of cars to choose from, and is less likely to have been abused by previous owners) is a good option. Also, if the new 4.6 3v turns out to be problematic, a proven 4.0 V6 would be even more appealing.

I for one am sort of excited about the possibility of the Ranger's 4.0L going into the Mustang. It means there's likely going to be a trickle-down of performance parts for us Ranger and Explorer owners. I've got an Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC in it, and I've been saying for ages that it would make an excellent car motor. It works okay in Rangers and Explorers, but they're just too heavy for it. It really needs the manual trans like in the Ranger to get up and go, as the five-speed auto in my Exploder is too sluggish in downshifting for my tastes. Even with 4.10 gears, the low end punch is sort of weak, but over 3K RPMs, it hauls.

Thus far, there has been a dearth of aftermarket parts development, because it's just not that high profile of an engine. Some people have been working on superchargers, but boost isn't easy to come by due to the high compression ratio. I remember a while back one guy custom fabbed a Roots-style supercharger and intake manifold setup for his Ranger, but he had to use water injection to get more than just a couple pounds of boost without detonation. I don't think I'd ever seriously consider buying a V6 Stang, but my Explorer might need a new engine in a couple years......

Stang2Man said:
Doesn't Powerdyne make a bolt on kit for the Ranger/Explorer 4.0? And in turn wouldn't that come pretty close to bolting right on to a Mustang

There are two different 4.0L engines that were offered over the years in Rangers and Explorers. The old one was the OHV, which has some aftermarket support. That's the one you're thinking of. The newer one is an SOHC engine, with no support.