2006 Rear Shock Mount Isolator Problem...

VistaBlue310

Jun 21, 2016
LAX
I tried a quick search and could not find much on this issue.

2006 Coupe, I just installed Koni orange, K Springs and a BMR adjustable panhard bar. When I lowered the car to put the top shock mounts back on (located in the trunk) the isolator is almost 1" to short. Seems like the shock shaft comes out a good bit.

Anyone ever have or heard of this issue? Or maybe a work around? I have no idea what I could have done wrong since everything is very straight forward on the rear suspension install.

• Sponsors (?)

Not trying to be insulting but do you have the shock fully extended? If it's fully extended and too short, then you have an incorrect shock.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not a short issue it’s a too long issue. The rubber isolator is much too short. There is only one Koni orange part number for rear shocks for the 05-14 mustangs. I did notice when I watched an install video of some bilstein shocks they did not reuse the OEM nut and isolator but rather a much thicker bilstein variation (not sure if they would fit on Koni). I just can’t seem to find the same hardware for Koni. I have emailed Koni to see if they can point me in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the STR.T? When I installed mine I just reused the stock rubber isolators and didn't have an issue.

You have both the top and bottom isolators and the washer, correct?
Nailed it Red_LX! I don't have the bottom isolators, they must be stuck on the original shocks (125k miles on them) which are now long gone. Looks like I'll need to see if I can grab some from the dealership. Thanks so much for the info.

Should there be a washer and isolator for the bottom? just so I know what to look for.