2007 GT check engine light on

ksburn

5 Year Member
Apr 13, 2018
PA
2007 GT manual trans 17k miles with headers and aftermarket exhaust that was pro installed with O2 sensor. Check engine light just came on and stays on. Runs great with no noticeable issues. Any thoughts what the code may be?

• Sponsors (?)

Swing by Walmart or let your fingers do the walking on Amazon and get yourself an OBD2 code reader.

I you want to [really] be the envy of all of your friends, get one of these:

View: https://www.amazon.com/KOBRA-Scanner-OBD-Wirelessly-Eliminator/dp/B01C6CZ0SQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523675701&sr=1-10&keywords=obd2+bluetooth+scanner

You can download an app called "Torque" to pull and store your codes on your phone (assuming you own one made this century). It will also do some real-time data-logging that will provide you with [minutes] of entertainment before you hit the wall you didn't see while you were looking at the phone. :O_o:

Happy code pulling. It's really not magic although many of today's toys make it seem like magic. :) Welcome aboard. :SN:

I agree with noobz, I will ad something though, the parts stores have been advertising that they will scan your car if you have a cel, they must sell a lot of 02 sensors, the shop gets calls several times a week where they were told by a parts store that the code was for a bad 02 sensor. Most times it's a vacuum line broke or rotting, so do your home work or have a competent mechanic check it out,
One of the guys has that phone app noobz mentioned, its a fun little toy and great for the 'do it yourselfer'.
I'll send this over to the s197 tech forums and see what the members have to say. There may be a tune thing involved when modifying this model.

That's a good one, yeah... Don't let the parts store clerk sell you anything based upon a code he got.

Take his code and his recommendation and do your own research and understand why it is that a part should be changed.
There are some knowledgeable parts stores guys but they do not pop up like dandelions to be sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Swing by Walmart or let your fingers do the walking on Amazon and get yourself an OBD2 code reader.

I you want to [really] be the envy of all of your friends, get one of these:

View: https://www.amazon.com/KOBRA-Scanner-OBD-Wirelessly-Eliminator/dp/B01C6CZ0SQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523675701&sr=1-10&keywords=obd2+bluetooth+scanner

You can download an app called "Torque" to pull and store your codes on your phone (assuming you own one made this century). It will also do some real-time data-logging that will provide you with [minutes] of entertainment before you hit the wall you didn't see while you were looking at the phone. :O_o:

Happy code pulling. It's really not magic although many of today's toys make it seem like magic. :) Welcome aboard. :SN:
Thanks so much! Just ordered the code reader.

Don't trust what the code reader tells you without a little research. Most of the time they are pretty near right on, but if you get a few codes, it could really be one problem throwing a chain of problems. There are many examples of this, one that I had was that both of my cam phazer solenoids failed. Not likely they both failed at the same time. Alternator diode/rectifier failed. That doesn't throw a code, but it does allow dirty power (AC instead of DC) into the wiring and caused false codes. Replaced alternator, no more codes. Post your codes if any doubt before buying parts.

Reactions: 1 user