Drivetrain 2007 GT/CS Trans/shift trouble

Greg Smith

Nov 26, 2017
In need of some help.
I bought my ‘07 GT/CS with 62k miles. The shift on it was slightly crunchy with a notchy pause between gears. It had a Hurst Billet Competition-shifter at the time & I hoped the installation was off & causing that. The car would not downshift easily unless you were under certain speeds, 25 for 3rd, about 12-15 for 2nd and 6-8 for first. Researching after purchase I decided the trans was shot.
I purchased a TR6060 from Astro Performance, along with a Ram clutch & an upgraded stainless clutch line and a MGW shifter. I installed everything, and filled the trans, as per Astro, with Mercon. After installing all this, there was a lot of pressure to get over to first. Tony at Astro didn’t have much to offer but MGW had me loosen & wobble the shifter around a bit and see if it improved. It did quite a bit.
Now, 2-3000 miles later, the shift is again clunky & notchy. Lot of pressure to get into first when cold, this improves some after the trans warms up good, but still not as it should be. And downshifting is again not as it should be, requiring more push than it should.
It was never as smooth as I would expect, but seems to be getting worse. It does not matter if you’re driving like grandma or Garlitts, the shifts feel the same.
My son and I tore down the old TR 3650 and could find little to nothing wrong inside. The gears looked really good and the synchronizers showed no wear that I could detect.
At this point I would like to find a really good mustang guy, somewhere between St. Louis and Memphis, Springfield Missouri and Nashville to drive the car & give me input and direction.
Your help is appreciated, because I love the car & want it right

• Sponsors (?)