2007 Shelby GT- Super charger advice.

SGT3477

Oct 1, 2009
Hello,
I have the vehicle in the title.
displayimage.php

Various sources rate it somewhere in the 315-330HP range.
I am the 2nd owner of this car. i got it with 878mi on it.
I am going to supercharge it in the spring. So I need ALOT of advice, if you would be so kind.

I have seen them ranging from $3500-$6000+. I could ( and would if I could ) send it back to Shelby for the GT/SC conversion. but, that is 12K+. and that is a bit to steep for me.

I have shopped them a bit but, i am a novice at exactly what would be the best for this car and my drive style.
I do not drive hard nor do i exceed 3500rpm very often. With that in mind it seems to me the paxton/novi centrifugal type would not be the type to look at since they take high RPMs to create boost...correct?
So roots/eaton/whipple styles i presume

from what ive seen and the little i know it seems that the edelbrock e-force and the saleen super shaker provide the most HP with the least boost.
i do not want a tremendous amount of stress on the engine under normal conditions. i want it to be there when i need it though.
i am not looking to go further ( heads, cams..etc.. ) i am just looking for something drivable that will kick in quickly but, not over work the engine daily....

am i asking to much? I am wide open to any brand ,make or model of device if it will accomplish what i wish.
so if you have any ideas i would greatly appreciate them!

• Sponsors (?)

First of all welcome to the site and congratulations on your new car.

You basically covered most of what you're looking for in your question. If you're wanting to make some good power down below then you need to look at a positive displacement supercharger. There are plenty of models to choose from, however, seeing how you're not going to push the car too much I'd say anything that puts you over 400HP would do just fine.

At that point it really comes down to how much are you willing to spend for the kit and whether or not you're going to be doing the install yourself. If you are going to install the kit yourself then you should look at either Twin Screw or TVS systems (Saleen and Edelbrock systems). They tend to run a little more then the older Roots like a Roushcharger but they have more potential for upgrades and are more efficient so the engine stress should not be excessive. That said the Roush is a great kit if you just want a bit more oomph from your car, and if installed by a certified shop they'll pick up the remainder of your drivetrain warranty. To some that piece of mind is worth the sacrifice in potential.

Either way check out some of the site's sponsors for great deals on supercharger kits and installation services.

I don't think that Carroll Shelby's passing will cause any of his toys to appreciate in value. The cars are worth what they're worth based on their own merits.

+1 there's just too many of them. Maybe in 40 years if you kept it in a blister pack of a garage they might be a lot more expensive.

Just like the toys "collectors" buy and never sell you have to ask yourself..

Are you going to make money off it (read sell)? Most likely not (attachment)

Are you going to enjoy it in its current state? Most definitely not (regret)

Just my 2c

If I owned a Shelby, I would bet you that Shelby against another Shelby that the price will go up when he dies.
Look at all famous people who have died, the market for anything associated with them has gone through the roof when they died.
My two cents.
The cars stand on their own for what they are, not what someone has made them into. That affects value. Again, My two cents.

I don't think that Carroll Shelby's passing will cause any of his toys to appreciate in value. The cars are worth what they're worth based on their own merits.

+1. What is a Shelby mustang anyway? Regular GT with a few extra bits and pieces added and a Shelby nameplate stuck on it. Very nice car no doubt, but no collector's item. Every auto maker make plays this game. I had a FE (Final Edition) Viper GTS...number 324 of 360, with a special color scheme and inside plaque. Who give's a hoot. Didn't pay any extra for it and didn't get any extra for it....just another GTS.

Before I went completely looney and turned a perfectly nice and respectable GT into a race car only (completely gutted from stem to stern), the car had a Procharger...sure it was rpm hungry...but you could drive around all day and never get into boost, if that's what you wanted. Sounds like you want to keep your vehicle as unmolested as possible...maybe a centri might be the thing. It has exceptional good manners until you stomp it.

I prefer the older Shelbys but also love the newer ones. The Shelby GT is actually built in Shelby's plant. It also is serialized. I agree that it is not a lot more than a regular GT, but the fact it is built in Shelby's plant in my opinion does make it somewhat special.
I just saw a 1967 Shelby not sell on TV at $105,000. That's a rare, older car. I don't think the new Shelbys will do that. But if I were going to modify a new Mustang, I would start with a regular GT, not the Shelby. I do believe in the long run the original Shelbys, newer ones included, will be something unique to hold onto.
It's your Mustang, though, do what you like with it. Modified cars do not bring as much money as original, that's just a fact. A modified Shelby will only result in those that are still original be worth more.
Again, my Two cents.

+1. What is a Shelby mustang anyway? Regular GT with a few extra bits and pieces added and a Shelby nameplate stuck on it. Very nice car no doubt, but no collector's item......

Are you nuts? It's built by Shelby and signed by Shelby...... It's a real Shelby unlike the GT-500 which is built by Ford and they just licensed his name to use. I wouldn't mod a Shelby GT but if you have no choice just keep all the stock parts someplace and in good condition. I'ld go with a FRPP, Edelbrock, or Roush Supercharger.

I don't recall Corvettes getting more valuable when Zora Arkus-Duntov passed away. Zora was a god in the Corvette world. Did Ferraris start going for more across the auction block when Enzo died? Did 911's appreciate when Dr Ferdinand Porsche passed on? Did Pontiac GTO's go through the roof when John DeLorean reached the end of the road?

Are you nuts?

I don't know....maybe a little.

It's built by Shelby and signed by Shelby

Seems important to you and you may be someone that would pay a premium for some dude named Shelby turning out a car (how many of them were produced anyway???) with an extra 30 hp. But I couldn't give a squat. Like I said...lovely car no doubt, but unless Shebly includes me in his will, not impressed.

Kenne Bell stage I or II kit. They come with absolutely everything you need and you will be making 500 RWHP at only 8.5 pounds of boost. There is no replacement for Kenne Bell, seriously. The Stage I kit with the 8.5 pound pully and absolutely EVERYTHING you need for the install is $5600.

Kenne Bell stage I or II kit. They come with absolutely everything you need and you will be making 500 RWHP at only 8.5 pounds of boost. There is no replacement for Kenne Bell, seriously. The Stage I kit with the 8.5 pound pully and absolutely EVERYTHING you need for the install is $5600.

this is the kind of answer i was looking for.
thank you.

for those who asked., there were 6000 of these made in 2007 about 3000 being black and 3000 being white...and around 10k made in 2008 about half lf those being convertables... i think ALL were vista blue. i think.
yes it was made by the Shelby plant in Nevada. Signed and numbered. hence my user name.

It is bone stock so far but, i drive it for to much. it is difficult not to enjoy it :)
it is a heavy car and for its looks and heratige..it just seems like it should have a little more ummph!
i have no intention of going nutz or changing her any further than a SC.

perhaps i can find donations to just have her shipped off to be GT/SC converted.

any offers? :)

2007: 5632 Black & White SGT coupes (2259-W & 3373-B)
2008: 217 GO coupes, 1376 VB coupes, 795 VB verts, 100 Black BJ coupes and verts

+1 for the KB

I had a Shelby Mod Shop install the SC pkg (blower, gauges, brakes). I'm keeping all the original parts just in case I ever need to part with it.

A friend of mine said it best: "The Shelby GT500 is a Mustang built by Ford and blessed by Shelby, the Shelby GT is a Mustang built by Shelby and blessed by Ford."

Which is the more limited Shelby Mustang? '07 to '10 Shelby GT500 = almost 25K; '07 & '08 Shelby GT = just over 8K.

That and the Shelby GT is the weapon of choice for SCCA F class due to its suspension and HP bump.

Attachments

• Picture 055 resize.jpg
    Picture 055 resize.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Picture 045 resize.jpg
    Picture 045 resize.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 322
+1. What is a Shelby mustang anyway? Regular GT with a few extra bits and pieces added and a Shelby nameplate stuck on it. Very nice car no doubt, but no collector's item. Every auto maker make plays this game. I had a FE (Final Edition) Viper GTS...number 324 of 360, with a special color scheme and inside plaque. Who give's a hoot. Didn't pay any extra for it and didn't get any extra for it....just another GTS.

Before I went completely looney and turned a perfectly nice and respectable GT into a race car only (completely gutted from stem to stern), the car had a Procharger...sure it was rpm hungry...but you could drive around all day and never get into boost, if that's what you wanted. Sounds like you want to keep your vehicle as unmolested as possible...maybe a centri might be the thing. It has exceptional good manners until you stomp it.

Wow.. :rolleyes: Should I even get involved with this post?

Think of the original GT-350s back in the 60s: Mustang fastbacks with Shelby parts, badges, extra horsepower, and Shelby's name.. Now look at them - pretty rare, and worth a lot of money - not to mention, constantly being cloned. Sure, they had a different engine than the 'regular' Mustangs, but it's the same concept.

Now, in 2007, and 2008, Shelby's factory in Vegas took 'regular' Mustang GTs, added more horsepower, changed the suspension, shifter, added stripes/badges, exhaust, and Shelby GT-specific parts, and a lot of people think nothing of them..

"Oh that's just a standard GT with badges and some extra horsepower.. with Shelby's name on it.."

If that's the case, what does it take for a car to be a 'real' Shelby? Does he personally have to help with the actual modification? Personally sign it? Personally drive it out of the factory, or hand the keys to the new owner?

Seriously.. every 'limited-edition' Mustang is essentially the same: more hp, somebody's name, different exterior looks, etc.. Regardless, they are all a step above regular GTs, and will most likely be worth a lot more down the road..

I did not buy my SGT to make money... I bought it because of its limited production, styling, handling, and the fact that all of the modifications come with a warranty.. I think that a lot of the guys who downplay the significance of the cars are simply jealous..

Heh. Well to answer the OP original question before we got into the value of Shelby's...

I run a Saleen Supershaker on my GT. I had the hood cut already because I was using the CDC shaker cia. So the supershaker was the next evolution for me. When first installed it made 425RWHP with a Kenny Bell Bap and really conservative tune. The power has now been up to 450RWHP and still a good tune.

I drive the car quite often, the commute for me is 24 miles each direction. The car runs great. No issues what so ever. But the great thing is that when you hit the vertical peddle on the right...A huge smile creeps across your face. Plus the supershaker just sounds dam cool. I have people tell me, "Dam that thing sounds cool" driving next to me. Never mind that it looks drop dead sexy.

The only problem I see with your car, is that you have the fake shelby hood scoop. So say bye bye to that..Buuuuuut I think your car would look a hell of a lot cooler with a SS on top with the hood pins...Sort of like a PJ.

Cannot go wrong with the Saleen. And they are not badly price. You can find them now for 4500~4800 easily.

Saleen makes some good pieces and $4500 - $4800 seems like a decent price. The power also seems on par with all the others out there (including KB). I got weirded out as to what was happening with the company though - wasn't sure they'd be around all that long. Have they recovered and on the up and up yet?

This is my second KB. I know it's a bit more expensive, but it's a complete well thought out kit, it's hard to beat their customer service and it's one of three supercharging companies that Shelby Autos is using for its SGT/SC packages.

The only problem I see with your car, is that you have the fake shelby hood scoop. So say bye bye to that..Buuuuuut I think your car would look a hell of a lot cooler with a SS on top with the hood pins...Sort of like a PJ.

There's no problem with my car. I have the original hood scoop on the original hood. I chose to have Cervini's '67 (Shelby) style hood painted to match the car since I like the looks of the '67 Shelby Mustang hood over the '65 - '66.

An SS? No. Shelby's have scoops. MACH I's and the BOSS have shakers. The BOSS, you know, what the PJ S302 was modeled after. (Sweet car btw.)