2008 or 2010?

FNG 2001

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Hawthorne, CA
Let me preface by stating I did a search, although not too thorough since I am at work and there is some work to be done. I've been stangless for a few years now and have the itch to get another. I am trying to pick one up (either a GT or SE), but want to time it right so I can get a killer deal. I almost went for the labor day sale (0% for 72 mo.) but wimped out.:nonono:

My plan is to pick one up when Ford releases the new model. I saw how people got great deals on '04 GTs and Mach Ones when the '05 was released, and see that happening again if Ford's new Stang puts out ~350 HP. I thought I just read in Motor Trend (car of the year issue) that the Bullitt and Boss will be out in '07 (sounds wrong) and the new Mustang will be out in '08. I searched "2008" and read that the new version will be out in 2010. Well, which one is it?:shrug:

I am hoping for 2008, so I can save my pennies for an end of the year purchase. Thanks!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

From what I can tell, the '08 will/may see a slight freshening of the sheeetmetal (think 98 vs 99) and '10 being a new platform. We should be getting a lot more info on the '08 in the next 2 weeks with the Detroit show press days starting Jan 8th or 9th. I'll be at the show on the 14th to see for myself.

From what I can tell, the '08 will/may see a slight freshening of the sheeetmetal (think 98 vs 99) and '10 being a new platform. We should be getting a lot more info on the '08 in the next 2 weeks with the Detroit show press days starting Jan 8th or 9th. I'll be at the show on the 14th to see for myself.

So 2008 is bringing a slight design change, like the 1998 compared to 1998 mustang; and a new platform will be introduced in 2010? That makes sense now. A detuned version of the Boss engine is also supposed to find its way into the 2008 cars. That's as significant as a platform change. If I get my way, Ford will need to discount 2007s at the end of 2007 when the 2008s start showing up on dealer lots. Pontiac had to do this in 2005 when they upgraded the GTO with better styling and the 400 HP LS2 engine (vs. the 350 hp LS1 in the former model). Any thoughts?

You could be waiting forever. There's always something new just around the corner. And, God forbid, what if a tragedy strikes and you don't live that long.
Get you a Mustang, my friend, today and enjoy it.

You could be waiting forever. There's always something new just around the corner. And, God forbid, what if a tragedy strikes and you don't live that long.
Get you a Mustang, my friend, today and enjoy it.

Good advice! I may as well get a Porsche while I'm at it:p . I get what you are saying Stan, but I was forced to hold back on any purchases after a very busy 2006. I bought my first house and am trying to adjust to life with a mortgage. I also put my selfishness aside for once, and bought my wife her dream car- a BMW X5. I will be getting something soon, just not tomorrow. Lurking does get old, but by the end of the year, I should be posting pics of my new car. Besides, I am really interested to see what the Bullitt looks like. My timing may be just right.

The big refresh is pushed back to a 2010 MY... Meaning it'll be out in August of 2009. I've heard that it'll have the same 4.6L 3V but somehow it gets a magical 350 horse power.

Personally, I'm hoping for IRS

None of us know enough about the 2010 Mustang to know if it's worth waiting for. However the one thing I do know is that with all the new competition that's on the way, if Ford doesn't make some big improvements in the 2010 Ford is going to be in deep dog doo doo.

The big refresh is pushed back to a 2010 MY... Meaning it'll be out in August of 2009. I've heard that it'll have the same 4.6L 3V but somehow it gets a magical 350 horse power.

Personally, I'm hoping for IRS

You can do a lot to get a car 50 extra horses on the same block. Higher compression, bigger bore, longer stroke, and a more aggressive tune from the factory come to mind.

But the compression ratio on the existing 3V is already 9.8 isn't it? If you go too much higher, Ford runs the risk of not being able to use 87 Octane...

The Tune could be changed.. That I wouldn't mind at all

A larger bore would be nice, because that would allow for larger valves and we know what that means.

But the compression ratio on the existing 3V is already 9.8 isn't it? If you go too much higher, Ford runs the risk of not being able to use 87 Octane...

The Tune could be changed.. That I wouldn't mind at all

A larger bore would be nice, because that would allow for larger valves and we know what that means.

Yea, the compression ratio is already 9.8:1 on the 3v's.

I'm going to bet on a slightly bigger bore and possibly a higher CR to for Ford to get that 350hp out of the Mustang. That still isn't enough to compete with the Camaro though, as they will be putting out 400bhp stock. They'll probably also get much better gas mileage too if I had to take a gander.

My advice to the OP...save your pennies and get a new one (2008) when they come out. You'll be much happier I think...that is unless you can get a really really good deal on a 05-07.

I bought a 2005 Escape in early 2004. And Ford is planning to introduce the 2008 Escape in early 2007. So, maybe the 2008 Mustang will come out next year and the 2010 will come out in 2009.
Actually, what year is this?
Car manufacturers drive me crazy with the way they date vehicles.