2011 GT Prem 6Spd Auto Transmission problems

thellmer

Jun 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Had the car 4 weeks now (1500 miles) and for the past 2 days the transmission has been acting up when cold. Yesterday put it in reverse in the garage and it barely moved itself for about 10 feet before jerking into gear. After backing out the driveway, the backup camera stayed on for about a block while going forward. Today, no problem backing out when cold, but after I had gone about a block, I made a left turn and hit the gas and the engine revved but the car kept coasting for about 20 feet then lurched into motion again. Afterwards was fine and the rear view camera behaved normally this time. Anyone else having any issues with the auto 6 speed transmission on an 2011 model?

• Sponsors (?)

2011 mustang automatic transmission problems

Problems like your are posted in various forums across the net. I am having problems with mine also, though they are not the same problems. Mine down shifts off throttle at 70 mph. Also hard 2-1 down shifts. Dealer doesn't have a clue. transmission man is suspect after talking to him, he says it's my driving style.

2011 gt transmission problems

2011 5.0 automatic

Gentlemen, Received a phone call from Ford Cust. Service Rep. last night regarding my problem with automatic transmission shifting problems. As of 3/9/11 a special service message # 21776 was released. She told me to go to Ford and tell them about this ssm and they would change the necessary parts for me. I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens. I hope someone can post this SSM so I can see exactly whats parts they are referring to.

Latest update

Gainesville Ford attempted repair of my automatic transmission. They ultimately replaced the "Lead Frame" and cleared the adaptive shift strategy. Problem is better but have a new problem. While in cruise control if I have it at 70mph and bring the speed up to 80 mph using the gas peddle and then let off of it, it will downshift to the next one or two lower gears and when it gets back to 70mph again it will upshift again to high gear. I can't believe Ford would purposly program that into the cruise control program, it would put additional strain on the transmission as well as cause a dangerous situation on slick roads (snow, etc..
Ford get your s--- together already

Gainesville Ford attempted repair of my automatic transmission. They ultimately replaced the "Lead Frame" and cleared the adaptive shift strategy. Problem is better but have a new problem. While in cruise control if I have it at 70mph and bring the speed up to 80 mph using the gas peddle and then let off of it, it will downshift to the next one or two lower gears and when it gets back to 70mph again it will upshift again to high gear. I can't believe Ford would purposly program that into the cruise control program, it would put additional strain on the transmission as well as cause a dangerous situation on slick roads (snow, etc..
Ford get your s--- together already

Who would drive 80 mph with the cruise set at 70 on a slick/snowy road?....:rlaugh:

Auto transmission woes

Duh?
this also happens with CC set at 45mph or any other speed it is set at, if you go to pass someone and let off it it will downshift. Are you implying there is no problem because no one will drive in the rain at 70 mph? Smart ass. AlthoughI never use my CC in the rain, lots of people do. Regardless, this is an issue that Ford should address. BTW, I am a former LEO in FL and drove I75/95 all day long. I have also been to 2 HP driving schools, as well as two academy driving schools. This does not happen with my Crown Vic.....ever...Or, any other car that I have driven, ever....

2011 5.0 automatic

Gentlemen, Received a phone call from Ford Cust. Service Rep. last night regarding my problem with automatic transmission shifting problems. As of 3/9/11 a special service message # 21776 was released. She told me to go to Ford and tell them about this ssm and they would change the necessary parts for me. I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens. I hope someone can post this SSM so I can see exactly whats parts they are referring to.

So....did you go to Ford as they said to do or are you still driving a month later with what you see as a problem????????

I see this as the trans downshifting to match the speed to the CC preset speed.

Duh?
this also happens with CC set at 45mph or any other speed it is set at, if you go to pass someone and let off it it will downshift. Are you implying there is no problem because no one will drive in the rain at 70 mph? Smart ass. AlthoughI never use my CC in the rain, lots of people do. Regardless, this is an issue that Ford should address. BTW, I am a former LEO in FL and drove I75/95 all day long. I have also been to 2 HP driving schools, as well as two academy driving schools. This does not happen with my Crown Vic.....ever...Or, any other car that I have driven, ever....

Duh?....lmao!! Yep, I'm a smart ass... its just a character flaw I guess. :rlaugh:

If your not happy with the way it shifts and the dealer says its fine, get another opinion at a different dealer.

The fact is, these are 6 speeds... they shift all of the time. I have a Tundra 5.7L with a 6 speed auto... it shifts all of the time too! When I'm pulling the boat its shifts 2-3 times on some hills (up and down the hills). Its just the nature of the 6 speed auto's. They shift to the proper gear to put the engine right in the middle of its horsepower/torque curve.

Automatic Transmission Problems--- Update ---

Sorry for that smart ass comment I was just being an ass. Frustration is not a reason. it's an excuse.

Gentlemen, It has been 3 weeks since I brought my car into Gainesville Ford. Unfortunately my original Problems remains. The tech changed out the lead frame, replaced the fluid and filter. He reused the Pan Gasket. Here is the interesting part,
One of my complaints about this trans is, at the start of my route home from Gainesville FL I take I75 S.. I turn on and set my Cruise Control as per usual at 70 mph. If I pass some one I like to cruise around them and then let off the throttle. Occasionally it would down shift one or two gears while going down hill. Now it does it consistently in cruise control. I Don't think this repair caused the problem, it exposed it! What was a intermittent failure has become one I can demonstrate. What comes next I don't know. I will call Ford with this info maybe it will help them narrow this down. I am sure the Service Tech will find this interesting.

Hey Reaper, I smoked a 93 Cobra (twice) that had thrown a rev and smirk me a couple of weeks ago..

This thing sounded so bad I almost **** my self. Stop light to stoplight. He was never in it.
Black Cobra, Ocala, Florida You know who you are