2011 SVTPP clunking/grinding turning close to full lock...ideas?

Vankuen

Sep 9, 2009
I took the stang to work today even though it was high 30's low 40's all day today.

Going to work wasn't a big deal, no issues except my left upper trim rattling like it always does. Parked in the parking garage and went on to work. 8 hours later, I come out, turn the car on, let it sit for a few moments while the engine's rpms get to a normal rate, and then turn the wheel right close to full lock and reverse slowly.

I then feel/hear an acute grind/clunk noise in the left front wheel well area...it happens a couple times in a row. I think I maybe ran over something I hadn't seen, so I pull up again and look around--nothing.

I pull out again as I'm turning and hear it again! I decide to make a full lock radius circle, both forward and backward, and hear it ever couple seconds.

I think, well, it doesn't seem to have any problems going straight so I still drive home. I stop at the gas station and try to look around at the tire area to see if there's any obstructions, try and see if there's anything caught in the springs, but can't really see too much. I then decide to try the circles again both directions, and even backwards...and nothing.

Could the spring have just gotten really cold and was catching while turning the wheel? I don't think that the ball joints or tie rod ends could be loose or anything...but since I've never heard it before today's cold ass day I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the cold and it's effect on the metal.

I'll be taking it in to the dealer if I hear it again, but in the meantime any ideas as to what might have caused this?

• Sponsors (?)

The sound is a typical indication of a bad ball joints or strut mounts, but I can't imagine it on such a new car..plus the SVT cars use upgraded ball joints and strut mounts.....the fix for bad ball joints in the GTs was to replace the ball joints/strut mounts with GT500 parts. :shrug: