2013-2014 GT - Issues To Be Aware Of During Test Drive

5literPwr

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
So my 07 Mustang GT just got hit by a driver who made an illegal turn and I am trying to prepare myself in the event that my insurance company considers my car totaled. If totaled, I am considering a 2013/2014 Mustang GT and wanted to know if anyone could please tell what things I should really look out for and be on extra high-alert towards when checking these models over and test driving it.

I have read posts that say to be sure that all dash lights function (not sure why) and other posts that warn about unusual engine ticks. I have also heard about transmission shifting issues as well. The posts that I have read seem to indicate that many of the engine issues involved the 2011/2012 model years, therefore the reason I am looking toward the 2013/2014 models. Does anyone know if Ford resolved most or all of the engine issues by 2013?

I will continue to search out posts for more info on this question, but I am really hoping to receive this info as quickly as possible and before this weekend. If anyone could please give me some good advice here regarding what to look out for during my test drive of the 2013/2014 models, it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I also heard of the #8 cylinder issue but havent been able to determine if Ford fixed this by the 2013 model year. Some posts claim that it was fixed by 2013, while other posts claim it wasnt. It has been difficult to determine this one for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
The new 5.0 engines (2011+) seem to have serious issues. I have read MANY MANY owners of Mustangs and F150's online are talking about their engines blowing up within just a few thousands of miles. STAY AWAY!!

The new 5.0 engines (2011+) seem to have serious issues. I have read MANY MANY owners of Mustangs and F150's online are talking about their engines blowing up within just a few thousands of miles. STAY AWAY!!

What you read and hear from people on the forums tend to be only the negative, as people tend to post when they're having a problem and not when everything is working correctly. The new 5.0 motors in general have been VERY reliable. There were some incidents of engine issues in the 2011-2012 motors, especially the truck engines and rod bearings, but that has not been the norm. I have a couple buddies that are Ford service techs and they have all stated the new 5.0 has been one of the Ford engines with the least amount of warranty claims, especially when looking at 2013+ engines.

Hoyster, can you please ask your buddies (the service techs) what changed on the 2013 Ford 5.0 engines from the 2011-2012 engines? Also can you ask them which issues were eliminated due to these improvements on the 2013? Thanks.

I have a 2014 GT and the engine is amazingly strong....has not missed a lick and uses no oil at 36K miles!!:D

The OEM manual shifter sux but my MGW shifter fixed that PERFECTLY!!

IMHO these are better looking than the 2015+ cars and for street use you'll probably not find a more fun car!!:)