2013 Mustang Emissions Help - Cel Codes

Shelbygt500atl

Jul 11, 2017
Hi all -

I live in Atlanta GA and my car needs to pass emissions to renew my tag. Unfortunately, about a week before the renewal date my CEL came on which means no matter what I cannot renew my tag until it's off. So I went to the autozone near me to check the code. I got P0442 which is a small evap leak. I read and researched this board and others and it seemed the common fix was to use the supplied gas filler apparatus to run in the capless lid a few times to clean off any dirt or debris and wipe everything down. So, I did that and unhooked the negative on my battery to clear the light. Drove it to the emissions shop and apparently you have to drive the cars about 100 miles otherwise you can't pass still. So around 30 miles the light came back on.

Out of ideas I went to Ford and paid the $137 to hook up to their machine. I got the codes P0442 and P0050 The tech said I needed a new purge valve assembly and an o2 sensor....oh and they wanted $800 to fix it. Couldn't decide to laugh or be pissed off. So, I did research on the purge valve and it was a $30 part at autozone and 2 bolts and located right on top on the engine. Now this is a cannister purge valve assembly and a very common issue on post 2009 Ford's. I assume this is the only such purge valve assembly. I bought the part and changed the parts out. Very simple.

For the o2 sensor it's officially a HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1). I am not sure what that means, but exhaust O2 senors are only $120 for upstream and $40 downstream on the pipe. This code however makes me feel like it's a different 02 sensor located somewhere else. Can someone point me in the right direction? I am lost here.

Also, based on my extensive research, this is not an $800 fix. Really angry with Ford for this.

• Sponsors (?)

Update: So Bank 2 is driver's side, sensor 1 is front sensor. So, I'll go pick up the front sensor and replace the driver's side senor today. It's such an easy thing to replace...why $800!!!!!!!! I mind boggled.