2014 V6 Sluggish

I've heard there are methods for tuning the 2014 V6 Cyclone so that the power band begins somewhere around 1 or 2k RPM instead of the stock 3k. Is this true? (I assume there is some truth to it because there is a forum prefix called "Digital Tuning"). Has anyone tried this? Are there some to stay away from? I don't want to make things worse.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I've heard there are methods for tuning the 2014 V6 Cyclone so that the power band begins somewhere around 1 or 2k RPM instead of the stock 3k. Is this true? (I assume there is some truth to it because there is a forum prefix called "Digital Tuning"). Has anyone tried this? Are there some to stay away from? I don't want to make things worse.
Well, power band is a function of valve timing, I think, spark advance to some extent, I also think, but can't imagine how some kind of "tuning", meaning electronic rigmarole (?), might adjust power band by very much. I could be dead wrong, being a novice, though. My own experience lately has shown that sadly, I have indeed managed to make things worse, a story for another place & time. imp

Well, power band is a function of valve timing, I think, spark advance to some extent, I also think, but can't imagine how some kind of "tuning", meaning electronic rigmarole (?), might adjust power band by very much. I could be dead wrong, being a novice, though. My own experience lately has shown that sadly, I have indeed managed to make things worse, a story for another place & time. imp

I'm in the same boat with you imp. I've had my baby since February 2016. I've finally managed to get over being triggered by the guys who think a V6 isn't a real Mustang. A Mustang is a Mustang no matter what engine it has - and 305hp is respectable.

I'm in the same boat with you imp. I've had my baby since February 2016. I've finally managed to get over being triggered by the guys who think a V6 isn't a real Mustang. A Mustang is a Mustang no matter what engine it has - and 305hp is respectable.
Most "experts" believe the V-8 will universally be dead soon. Thus old geezers like me will keep working with the "old iron". imp

I don't think the V8 will ever go away completely. The V6, however, is already gone as an option in the Mustang because of the Ecoboost 4-cyl. Personally, I don't like the Ecoboost because my experience with a 2015 Ecoboost was all eco and no boost. My V6 walked it like a dog.

I don't think the V8 will ever go away completely. The V6, however, is already gone as an option in the Mustang because of the Ecoboost 4-cyl. Personally, I don't like the Ecoboost because my experience with a 2015 Ecoboost was all eco and no boost. My V6 walked it like a dog.
The problem with the big displacement engines is compliance with "CAFE", government-mandated minimum fuel economy requirements. imp

I haven't read or heard of what you are wanting to do but, what is your rear gear ratio? Should be a little white tag on the rear end pumpkin. Most v6 Mustangs came with a 2.73 rear gear ratio. It was so Ford could advertise "over 300 horsepower and over 30 miles per gallon". I ordered my 2011 v6 with the only option for the rear gearing of 3.31 ratio. It wasn't enough for me so I had my local Ford dealer change them to 3.73. The 3.73 gear ratio really woke my Mustang up. I also have long tube headers and other bolt on parts but, the problem your having sounds like you need a lower rear gear ratio. Just my opinion and good luck :)

I also second changing the rear gear ratio out to something a little numerically shorter. It will get you into the power band sooner. Downside if those shifts will come on a lot quicker for you.

I haven't read or heard of what you are wanting to do but, what is your rear gear ratio? Should be a little white tag on the rear end pumpkin. Most v6 Mustangs came with a 2.73 rear gear ratio. It was so Ford could advertise "over 300 horsepower and over 30 miles per gallon". I ordered my 2011 v6 with the only option for the rear gearing of 3.31 ratio. It wasn't enough for me so I had my local Ford dealer change them to 3.73. The 3.73 gear ratio really woke my Mustang up. I also have long tube headers and other bolt on parts but, the problem your having sounds like you need a lower rear gear ratio. Just my opinion and good luck :)

I'll assume that it's whatever Ford put in it at Flatrock. I haven't crawled under there yet. I'll do that next chance I get. Thing is, if you're changing gears like that don't you have to replace the axles as well? Sorry if I sound like a greenhorn...it's because I am.

I'll assume that it's whatever Ford put in it at Flatrock. I haven't crawled under there yet. I'll do that next chance I get. Thing is, if you're changing gears like that don't you have to replace the axles as well? Sorry if I sound like a greenhorn...it's because I am.

No. You are changing the ring and pinion so you don't replace the center diff unit or axles. You'll also need to recalibrate the speedometer. That can be done in Forscan.

Just out of curiosity, did you notice an appreciable decline in mileage for this kind of upgrade? Of course, if I'm going to so this, why not just make it a posi-trac rear end? Oh...

Just out of curiosity, did you notice an appreciable decline in mileage for this kind of upgrade? Of course, if I'm going to so this, why not just make it a posi-trac rear end? Oh...

Depends on how you drive.

And yes, if you are going to tear the rear apart, I'd add a limited slip. This will get expensive. Welcome to modifying cars