2015 / 2016 Mustang - Let's Talk About Track Times

Hi everyone. I'm a new member to the forum and I bring with me a 2015 GT pp. Although I have owned many muscle cars over the years, this past summer was the first time I was ever on a drag strip. What a blast. Was able to get out about four nights and every time I had to get a little more power with bolt ons. The first time at the track I was hoping to get into the 13 second range. At the time all I had was a cold air intake and a Roush axle back. To my surprise, I made it into the 12 second range. I know I'm going to learn a lot more just from picking your brains. Look forward to talking with the group.

• Sponsors (?)

@Jim2015 Welcome! The drag strip is A LOT of fun. I'd love to see a list of mods and some time slips! I've got a 2015 GT PP too, with a cat back system but haven't dipped into the 12s yet with it. 13.2 @ 109 was my best out of 5 passes.

@Jim2015 Welcome! The drag strip is A LOT of fun. I'd love to see a list of mods and some time slips! I've got a 2015 GT PP too, with a cat back system but haven't dipped into the 12s yet with it. 13.2 @ 109 was my best out of 5 passes.
My first time ever at a track the car had a Airaid cai and a roush axleback exhaust. this was my best run of the day.

Attachments

• 20150821_201740.jpg
    20150821_201740.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome!
View attachment 546636
That's awesome!
Thanks. The next week I went with a Bama 93 octane race tune and did just a little bit better. I think I should have done a lot better, but these stock tires were spinning in second gear, driver error too. This spring I will be looking for a better summer tire for the rear only. The front tires still look new with 7000 miles on them. (the rear tires must have been defective since they are almost out of thread. haha). I heard good things about the Michelien sport tires. I noticed you have a nice build going on. With all that power at the back, I'm sure you will be adding stronger half shafts at a minimum, and what tires will you be looking at?

Attachments

• galaxy s6 12-10-2015 900.jpg
    galaxy s6 12-10-2015 900.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 234
Welcome! Nice runs. That 60' is really killing you. You should see major improvement with tires alone. If you have the funds and plan on racing it a lot, I suggest getting a 2nd set of wheels with drag radials or slicks for the rear that you can just swap in at the track.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just finished tuning on Wednesday. Should be in the low 600 area to the wheels. I went to Bradenton Motorsports park last night. My best run was my first run. I put down a 12.6 @ 124mph. After that I could barely stay out of the 13s.my 60 foot times were sooooo bad. I'm considering a Nitto NT05r on a set of 19x10 performance pack wheels. Before the tires I'll probably need axles and driveshaft loops at a minimum. The last thing I want is an axle to cut loose and grenade the IRS.

Welcome! Nice runs. That 60' is really killing you. You should see major improvement with tires alone. If you have the funds and plan on racing it a lot, I suggest getting a 2nd set of wheels with drag radials or slicks for the rear that you can just swap in at the track.

Thanks. I agree with you on the tire part. My plan is this spring to get a set of rear wheels from American Muscle. They have Performance Pack wheels that are 19 X 10. And then wrap them with the Mickey Thompson Street radials 305/35-19. But before I hit the track I also want to change out the half shafts. While at route 66 in Joliet this last summer I saw two guys snap them. Felt bad for them, & I don't want to be in that position.

I don't know how much they can take, but it sounds like it is a good idea to upgrade the shafts. If you are getting a set of rear wheels for the track, consider looking at smaller diameter wheels as well. This would let you have a tire with a bigger sidewall. I don't know if it would make much difference if you stay near stock power levels, but it definitely would if you start adding significant power. @84Ttop, would you agree?

I don't know how much they can take, but it sounds like it is a good idea to upgrade the shafts. If you are getting a set of rear wheels for the track, consider looking at smaller diameter wheels as well. This would let you have a tire with a bigger sidewall. I don't know if it would make much difference if you stay near stock power levels, but it definitely would if you start adding significant power. @84Ttop, would you agree?

I wasn't willing to find out the power necessary to snap the stock axles... I've replaced mine with DSS pieces. As far as tires go, I've personally seen a friend go 10.80's on the stock pirelli tires and 19" wheels, not saying it is easy of course. Ideally the smaller diameter wheel gives you more sidewall to work with, 17" being the smallest diameter wheel that will clear the stock rear brakes. This is the direction I have gone and been successful thus far, and yes this will make getting the power to the ground at the track easier as the power increases

Your track must be down hill LOL my first pass was a 12.6. But I've also never drove anything with more than 400 HP on the track and total I've made less than 25 passes my entire life. I've got a lot to learn :)

Your track must be down hill LOL my first pass was a 12.6. But I've also never drove anything with more than 400 HP on the track and total I've made less than 25 passes my entire life. I've got a lot to learn :)
My other car has been 8.10@177 in True Street competition (NMRA True Street- 30 Mile drive and 3 hot laps) not to mention it's been as fast as 5.0@146 to the 1/8th :)

Sorry for the Hijack OP

I was under the impression that the smallest wheel that will fit on the GTPP was a 19 inch wheel due to the size of the Brembo brakes. Unless that only applies to the front?