2015 Mustang Gt Trunk Caving In

TanTheMan

Dec 8, 2017
I have a 2015 mustang gt with the performance pack which doesn't come with a spare tire so there is nothing supporting the carpeted area in the trunk. If I put anything in my trunk at all, it will cave in which gets very annoying. It is annoying to the point where I don't even put anything in it. Does anyone have a solution as to what I should put in there so that it doesn't cave in anymore and my groceries dont get crushed? Anyone else have this problem too?

• Sponsors (?)

I would put the spare tire in ,i just bought a 2007 that was rearended at 60 mph and the spare actually kept the back end of the car from folding up into the back seat of the car
20171130_121427.jpg

I would put the spare tire in ,i just bought a 2007 that was rearended at 60 mph and the spare actually kept the back end of the car from folding up into the back seat of the car
20171130_121427.jpg
That might be the best route to go. Sorry to hear about the car that is terrible. I hope you are fine and no one was injured!! Also, the car didn't come with any tire inflating kit that others with the performance package have said it comes with.

It wasnt me ,the kid that had it only had it 3 days and got rearended while setting at a stop light .the spare actually kept the trunk from going into the back seat ,i let the air out of the tire to pull it out and the trunk actuallt squeezed up farther ,the tire acted like an air bag and probably saved this kid

Could you reinforce the cardboard with some thin slabs of wood? Maybe one or two pieces?

I do not yet have this problem. I put my backpack and lunch in the trunk. It’s probably about 20 lbs. No spare.

Do you still have the bumper to bumper warranty in tact? Maybe you could have Ford look at it and cover it under warranty?

My '17 has a piece of fiberboard (actually appears to now be corrugated plastic) over the spare compartment, beneath the carpet. I would think yours should have also. Shouldn't take much $ to get a replacement from a salvage yard, then you'd have what is supposed to be there.

Here is what it looks like - includes the part number.

Last edited:
I've heard of people lining the inside of that area with a black garbage bag, and then filling it with closed cell flotation foam. Costs a few bucks, but you can shave it smooth on top when it cures, and it's pretty strong stuff to support the floor. It's also light, so you can easy just pop it out if you ever want to store something under there or eventually get an actual spare tire. If all else fails, it'll help keep the car afloat if you drive into a lake. LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instafoam-...925453?hash=item1a3aa33a0d:g:4qEAAOSwl9RaFeFe