2016 V6 coupe fuel gauge accurracy

Sep 26, 2015
I don't have my silver coupe any longer and regret selling it. One thing that sticks in my mind was the accuracy of the fuel gauge. When the gauge read 10 miles remaining, I could fill it up to the shut off point twice and read the pump display to find that I had half a gallon left in the tank. This corresponded to the factory's 19 mpg city mileage rating. I haven't had a car with this good a gauge ever. Does anyone else see this with their car? Someone told me that the cars ecu took into account the flow rate of the injectors to determine the mileage remaining figure. Sounds like a lot has come along in fuel gauge design recently.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it's pretty accurate from my experience. I've driven mine down to as low as 4 miles left before without worrying much. Couple other times close to 8-10 miles left. The only reason I do so is because I happened to test drive a Mustang GT that read 0 miles left. The salesman said it was fine and to go for it. It went another 3 miles before stalling, haha, no idea how long it was driven at 0 before my test drive though, so i know there's at least some reserve in there. I don't think I've ever hit 15 gallons filling it back up either when i run it that low, confirming my suspicions there's some reserve left even if you hit 0.

Thanks for the reply echo7. I never would have thought about how long that low fuel warning had been on in the demo car either. The salesman didn't go with you it sounds like. Did they come get you? I assume you called him to report the situation. I run all my new vehicles as far down the gauge as possible to find out where absolute zero is. My 2000 v6 mt coupe was routinely run to the point where I coasted into gas stations with a dead engine. It didn't seem to hurt the fuel pump since I replaced only one in 10 years and 200,000 miles. Funny thing, you could hear the pump thumping lightly in the empty tank-that's when I knew I needed gas right away! As soon as Ford brings back a v6 car, I'm on it.

Yeah, he sat in the back seat, then called for a tank of gas to be delivered, haha. I hope i never have to coast in on a stalled engine, that would have me sweating for sure.

glad the sales guy went along with you. The recent test drives that I've made have been solo and I have done a few with very little fuel showing on the gauge. I held my breath until I got back to the dealers. The only complaint that I had with that 2000 car was it detonated badly at times driving moderately and nobody figured it out. It didn't hurt the car in ten years but aggravated me something fierce. I used regular and refused to go up in grade to try and stop it. Good car in general, the clutch lasted the ten years.