Engine Fuel pickup problems

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
Car died on me while driving. I could hear my pump starving for fuel (Gauge read 1/4 tank). Had a buddy bring me some gas, car fired right up. I went to fill up and after 9.6 gallons the tank was full (including what I put in on the side of the road). This means my tank should've had around 6 gallons in it when it died. Are the pickups on these cars prone to failure? Any ideas on what could've happened?

• Sponsors (?)

The high-pressure pumps don't usually suffer from the issue that I described above. You're probably going to have to pull it no matter what. I'd plan on replacing it regardless unless it's brand new.

So does the car still have an in-tank pump or a just a pickup in the stock hanger location with the external pump only? In-tank low fuel level suction issues are usually the sock being plugged or failed, baffel broken loose inducing slosh, or the pump is bad like Noobz is saying.

External pump mounted in line with the subframe rail. This is my sender.
B0B5E9C2-1091-4EEE-BE26-E18E84F487A4.jpeg

This is from May of last year. Everything was cleaned and inspected.

Assuming you used an 85 pickup assembly in the 93 tank? If so I would think that the strainer at the end of the pickup is not in the pump baffle so slosh has to be an issue unless you swapped to a late 81-85 tank but I don't know if they had baffles. If I were to swap an EFI car to carb I would get one of these:

Or sump the tank like I did on my '83 T-Bird. Used a Competetion Engineering sump on the stock tank.

I know none of this helps your current situation but if you are using an 85 pickup assembly in an EFI tank it may not be the best thing for the Holley external pump.

Pump failure due to a poor pickup? Not sure man but I would say the pickup is not ideal in that the pump could have been struggling for the last two years in low level conditions with slosh causing cavitation.

Reactions: 1 user
That is an EFI tank so 86-93. The pickup you have is for a carbed late 81-85. If it was me I’d go with a pickup meant for and EFI tank.
Yeah, i would just go back to a regular pump and pickup.
That inline isn't even that powerful, if this is a fuel injected car i see no reason it was hooked up to begin with.

Almost sounds to me like you have some kind of holley sniper kit meant to convert a carbed car to EFI.

You would be correct. V8 swapped car. Didn't want to deal with swapping harnesses and computers. Holley Sniper was the route I took. The tank and pickup was that way when I bought the car. That pump came with the kit so I figured I might as well use it.

Was reading up on the Sniper setup and it requires 58.5 psi of fuel pressure so an EFI style pump and regulator are needed. The regulator that comes with the Sniper kit (Holley P/N 12-886) looks like the carb regulator I have on the T-Bird but it says its for EFI and has a pressure range of 15-60 psi.

You are going to need a 255 lph pump to replace the Holley inline pump. Specs on the inline pump (Holley P/N 12-920) are 62 pgh at 60 psi which is identical to the Walbro GSL392 inline pump (https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl392-inline-fuel-255lph-pump.html.html) or the GS340Walbro GS340 in-tank pump (https://walbrofuelpumps.com/255lph-walbro-gss340-intank-fuel-pump.html.html) as they deliver 62 gph at 60 psi based on Walbro's graph.

I would assume the inline pump would have been fine with the correct style of pickup for the EFI tank to keep it from starving but it sounds like its seen its last day because of that. I would say that if you just swapped to the correct in-tank pickup for an external pump you could run the Walbro GSL392 and this could keep you from having to plumb some new/different fuel lines and any wiring. I will say that it is highly likely that an in-tank pump will be quieter and you can get a in-tank fuel pump hanger for about $30 less than the inline hanger I posted above. I would think this route would require some fuel line and wiring rework.

Got around to addressing the problem today. I replaced the fuel pickup with one like AreoCoupe referenced in post #7. I will update on how this works for me. Fuel pump is much quieter.

However, over the past two weeks, I still drove the car ensuring to not go below a third tank. No problems. I'm going to assume my fuel pump is still in good shape and I will continue to use it for the time being.

Reactions: 1 users