2018 INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP

Shocker10101

Jul 11, 2019
Virginia
I am having a 2018 intake manifold and headers installed this weekend on my 2014 mustang GT. I have a tune for the headers all ready to go, but the tuner I'm currently using "doesn't support 2018 intake manifold tunes". I know I know. Switch your tuner..I am getting a Dyno tune the day after install. The problem I'm having and my question is...Is it okay to start the car and drive it to the shop, to get Dyno tuned, a couple miles down the road without a specific tune for my new intake manifold?

• Sponsors (?)

Considering that you most likely already had the work done this will be irrelevant but for anyone else wondering... It won't hurt anything. All you are changing is air flow/air to fuel ratio. Without the tune, your ecu won't run the motor in such a way as to make proper use of the changes you've made. It will run lean, and while that isn't good it won't cause any damage either. Especially for such a short trip.

Reactions: 1 user
Bullitt95 You are mostly right, however there are limits to how far the ecu will adjust. Also with more space available in the intake pipe, it's actually possible for the rate of air flow to be lower than the stock. That isn't to say less air is passing by, but the speed which it moves by could at times be lower and still be allowing more air in. In that circumstance the maf would be giving the ecu entirely incorrect data.

That is just an example of how those parts being swapped can throw off the ecu. The short answer is still that it won't hurt anything, but also that the tune is important. The ecu can't make the proper adjustments alone.