2020 mustang wheels

Sean1108

Nov 12, 2020
Maryland
I have a 202 mustang convertible I purchased a couple months ago. My wife was driving the other day and blew out the tire. When we got the car back the tire was dirty so I took some 303 multisurface cleaner and wiped it down. I didn't think anything about it till the next morning when I walked outside and noticed the rim had heavy white streaks and was completely discolored. I semi panicked but I grabbed a magic eraser and it didn't come off. I tried some metal polish and nothing! I assumed the cleaner ruined the rim! My wife had to get to work so I chalked it up to me being stupid and vowed to only use soap and water from now on. I called the dealer to order an new rim and was told they won't take a card over the phone and the rim had to be ordered. I only mention that because of the next part.....on the way to the dealer my wife called me and sent me a picture of the rim.......it looked completely normal! The white was gone???? Ok, so apprently I saved some money, except this morning when I went outside it was back......not as bad but still kinda bad. My question is has anyone experienced this? Also does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks so much for the help. Also its been rainy and nasty the last 2 days. It pic is what it looks like this am and second is picture from my wife yesterday afternoon. Thanks again for any help

Attachments

• 20201112_094049.jpg
    20201112_094049.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 36023.jpeg
    36023.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Sponsors (?)

Call your dealership and see who they use for wheel repairs. All the wheel really needs is to be sanded and refinished to clear up the chemical damage to the clearcoat. Most wheel repair companies will fix one for $100-200, which is a lot cheaper than a new wheel.

I'd try some simple green on it first. I've found that to be a pretty effective wheel cleaner that is not chemically harsh.

Short of that, i'd take it to a wheel repair shop and ask them their opinion if the damage is permanent.

I don't even want to know how much a new rim from a dealer would cost...

Call your dealership and see who they use for wheel repairs. All the wheel really needs is to be sanded and refinished to clear up the chemical damage to the clearcoat. Most wheel repair companies will fix one for $100-200, which is a lot cheaper than a new wheel.
Thanks! I will definitely look into it. Its throwing me off that it seems to disappear but then its there the next day. Appreciate the advice.

I'd try some simple green on it first. I've found that to be a pretty effective wheel cleaner that is not chemically harsh.

Short of that, i'd take it to a wheel repair shop and ask them their opinion if the damage is permanent.

I don't even want to know how much a new rim from a dealer would cost...
Thanks. I will definitely try it. I don't think it can hurt!. Thanks for the advice.