205 /50 R15s mounted on the factory 15×7 rim...anyone tried this combo?

Canyonred86

Sep 25, 2023
Chicago IL
I have purchased a set of Nitto neo gens 205/50 R15 s to be mounted on the stock rims of my 86 GT from which maybe a bit oversized but will mount with no problem ..I am concerned about the look and the performance ...has anyone tried this on all four corners?

• Sponsors (?)

225-55-16 on these 01? wheels
DSCF1194.JPG

I have purchased a set of Nitto neo gens 205/50 R15 s to be mounted on the stock rims of my 86 GT from which maybe a bit oversized but will mount with no problem ..I am concerned about the look and the performance ...has anyone tried this on all four corners?

Your comment of "maybe a bit oversized".... are you referring to the tires? or the rims?

Because that size tire is way smaller than what should go on that car. That tire is only about 23.07" tall, versus a stock 225/60-15 being about 25.63" tall. While the lower height will help your acceleration a bit, they will also cause your speedo to be off by 10-11%. Also, you're adding another 1-1/4" of tire-to-wheelwell clearance (the 4x4 look).... does that matter to you?

Thanks for that information I obviously misunderstood the fitment numbers by going for a wider tire on a stock rim ...I'm looking for a particular size and Treadwell rating ( sub 300 tw) for autocross something I'm not finding with stock tire size...I'm new to autocross and have a limited budget also new to fitting correct tire to the stock rim...will have to look into upgrading rim size such as a 16 to use a tire I'm looking for....so yes the not look I'm looking for either.. Got to do more homework on this...thanks

Quick and dirty breakdown of tire size numbering without all the technicals:

235 / 55 / R15

235 is the width of the tire in millimeters

55 is a ratio of the first number. As this number grows, so does the sidewall.

R for radial of course and 15 for rim size.

With just that in mind, you pretty much visualize the tire against one you're looking at although it's useless for actual measurement. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea what the rules for an autocross class are, but i'm pretty sure nobody with a foxbody wants a 15 inch wheel, that much sidewall can't possibly be good for handling.
I'd consult the rule book and use at least a 17 if possible.

I have no idea what the rules for an autocross class are, but i'm pretty sure nobody with a foxbody wants a 15 inch wheel, that much sidewall can't possibly be good for handling.
I'd consult the rule book and use at least a 17 if possible.
The sidewall ratio is how you manage what size sidewall you purchase...
The larger the diameter is how you put more tread on the ground.

Reactions: 1 user