245/45/17's rubbing hard

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your most likely rubbing the fender on the front of the wheel well. If so continue to read..

NOW........ I'm sure someone will chime in and say I'm full of it but......

The 87 - 93 have a fender extension on the front portion that matches the nose/bumper cover.
The 87 - 90 is longer front to back than the 91 - 93 by 1".
In 91 Ford changed this to make room for the new 16" wheel/tire combo.
Many people believe that the fenders are different shape because it was said the wheel opening was made larger by 1", they are not. This is where I'm sure to get lots of arguments. 79 - 93 fenders are all the same size and shape. The only differences are the location of or lack of some pre-drilled holes.
Best solution, find the fender extensions for a 91 - 93 Mustang and drill any necessary holes to mount them. This will give you the larger opening and still match up to the bumper cover.

I have 245/45-17 on my 87 Notch and they do not rub the fenders at all, with the original fenders and the replacement fenders on my car, one from an 86 GT and the other off a 90 LX. And as you can see I do have my car lowered.

DSCF2135.jpg

Because I have the 91 - 93 Saleen front valance on my car I just removed the fender extension completely because it covers this area. And even with my SVO/Lincoln 5 lug conversion there is no rubbing.

If you look at this older picture of my car this is with 94 16" Ponys and the fender extensions on the car. With standard size tires it rubbed and as you can see the Saleen valance doesn't fit properly.

87_gwe11.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Winner winner chicken dinner... Been there, done that, posted it about 4 years ago. Good job Raven :nice:

The fenders are different. Period. I bought a car with mismatched fenders once and never noticed it til I went to 17x9's. Had to actually buy a fender and trim piece to get it to stop rubbing (still rubbed at full lock).

The fenders are different and I have picture proof and it being midnight I may or may not look those pictures up.

Sounds like your most likely rubbing the fender on the front of the wheel well. If so continue to read..

NOW........ I'm sure someone will chime in and say I'm full of it but......

The 87 - 93 have a fender extension on the front portion that matches the nose/bumper cover.
The 87 - 90 is longer front to back than the 91 - 93 by 1".
In 91 Ford changed this to make room for the new 16" wheel/tire combo.
Many people believe that the fenders are different shape because it was said the wheel opening was made larger by 1", they are not. This is where I'm sure to get lots of arguments. 79 - 93 fenders are all the same size and shape. The only differences are the location of or lack of some pre-drilled holes.
Best solution, find the fender extensions for a 91 - 93 Mustang and drill any necessary holes to mount them. This will give you the larger opening and still match up to the bumper cover.

I have 245/45-17 on my 87 Notch and they do not rub the fenders at all, with the original fenders and the replacement fenders on my car, one from an 86 GT and the other off a 90 LX. And as you can see I do have my car lowered.

DSCF2135.jpg

Because I have the 91 - 93 Saleen front valance on my car I just removed the fender extension completely because it covers this area. And even with my SVO/Lincoln 5 lug conversion there is no rubbing.

If you look at this older picture of my car this is with 94 16" Ponys and the fender extensions on the car. With standard size tires it rubbed and as you can see the Saleen valance doesn't fit properly.

87_gwe11.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Maybe its an age thing, but why does everyone think they need these huge ass rims and tires on cars not ever designed for them? Are Hot Wheels that cool?:shrug: Just wondering, I don't understand, my 86 went 11.40 on 15x7 Ten Holers with 9 inch M/H's and looked plenty cool.

Yea there is definatly a difference in 79-90 fenders to 91-93 fenders. measure the bottom of the fender on front of the wheel of a early fender and then go to a 91-93 fender and measure that. the bottom of the fender is an inch shorter from the front to the wheel opening.