28 Spline Axles VS 31 Spline Axles

UpRise_5.0

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Canada
Hey,

I was just wondering if new hardened 28 Spline Axles are worth it. Are they that much better then the stock ones?

Or is it better to just go to 31s.

Will the Ford 31 Spline Traction-Lok Posi be that much stronger then the stock 28 unit?

How more power would 31 Spline Traction-Lok Diff and 31 Hardened Axles take over a stock 28 Diff, with new hardened axles?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I ran my 28 splines until my clutches burned out of my diff. I upgraded to 31 splines only because I had to rebuild anyways. I would still have them if it weren't for that. My friend had his for years running 11's and 12's. It wasn't until he ran 10's with slicks that he twisted them. We went to 33's now.

I would get whatever is cheaper because both are good quality parts.

Yes, 28 spline hardened axles are a worthy upgrade.

Yes, the 31 spline trak-lock is considerably beefier than the 28 spline.

How much more power will it take? That's tough to say. Those two items combined with a hefty diff girdle and welded axle tubes... I'd say a considerable amount.

Going to hardened 28 spline is certainly an upgrade. It will shift the weak link from your axles to your trak-lock. How much abuse will the stock traction lock take before it grenades??? It varies widely.

If it helps you decide at all... I'm gathering parts for a 5 lug 4 wheel disk conversion. During that conversion, I'll be swapping in a rebuilt 31 spline traction lock from a Ford F-150 with the extra clutch. A set of Moser 31 spline hardened axles, Trick Flow rear end girdle with the adjustable carrier retainer bolts, and welded axle tubes.

I run a Dart based stroker with a 2.2L Kenne Bell. I make a ridiculous amount of torque and want something that's not going to fly apart on me.

Next weak link? My Tranny. :rlaugh:

Final footnote... 8.8s can be built up to be as tough as a Ford 9". It's only dependant on how far you want/need to go.

Final footnote... 8.8s can be built up to be as tough as a Ford 9". It's only dependant on how far you want/need to go.

Yep!! Did you see the Nov. 2007 issure of 5.0? They are swapping the GT500 engine in that t-top car. They cut the 8.8 axle tubes and are welding the larger flange to hold the 9" Ford style rear end bearings. They are really going huge on that 8.8 axle. I can't wait til they get that car done...gotta love mod swaps.